Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PayPal Smart Connect

tag
Cotton_Britches
Frequent Contributor

PayPal Smart Connect

Does this report to the credit bureau as a store card? 

“Faith is taking the first step even when you don’t see the whole staircase.”
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Datx
Valued Contributor

Re: PayPal Smart Connect

It reports as a 'credit card' for me. I think normally cards are reported as credit cards or charge cards. I don't believe I seen a card reported as a 'store card' before.

Message 2 of 6
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

If you are asking whether it reports as a consumer finance account ~ it does not. It shows just like a credit card/revolving account.
March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 3 of 6
Duke-of-Earl
Regular Contributor

Apparently there's more to PayPal than I had realized.  I usually think of it as a sort of online deposit account:  You and others can put funds in, you can transfer funds out to others, etc. -- but all on a positive balance, not a debt/credit situation.  So it's a surprise to me that they are (also?) credit cards, reporting to CRAs, etc.

Is there still a "regular PayPal" account, more or less as I described above, possibly corrected for errors due to my ignorance?  Does it allow debt (negative) balances?  And does it also report to CRAs?

Starting Score: EQ 804 - (April 2009)
Upgraded thanks to FICO Forums: EQ 813 / EX 842 / TU 823 - (FICO scores from mortgage lenders, June 2010)
Recent Scores: EQ 807 / TU 799 - (March 2012)
Goal: Survive Another Day
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 6
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@Duke-of-Earl wrote:

Apparently there's more to PayPal than I had realized.  I usually think of it as a sort of online deposit account:  You and others can put funds in, you can transfer funds out to others, etc. -- but all on a positive balance, not a debt/credit situation.  So it's a surprise to me that they are (also?) credit cards, reporting to CRAs, etc.

Is there still a "regular PayPal" account, more or less as I described above, possibly corrected for errors due to my ignorance?  Does it allow debt (negative) balances?  And does it also report to CRAs?

PayPal by itself is just as you described ~ an online account funded by you from which you send payments to others.    It does not report to your CRAs as it is not a credit product by itself.   

PayPal Smartconnect is a line of credit that you can apply for which can be linked to your PayPal account, it allows you to fund PayPal payments to others from your credit line.    SmartConnect reports to the CRAS as a revolving line of credit.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 5 of 6
Cotton_Britches
Frequent Contributor

@Duke-of-Earl wrote:

Your regular PayPal account can have a negative balance. When you swipe your PayPal card, the merchant obtains an authorization on the card for the purchase amount. If he doesn't put the actual charge through within the time allowed, the authorization will fall off your card and the merchant will try to collect those funds at a later date (usually within a couple of days). If, for some reason, you no longer have enough funds in your PayPal account to cover the charge, PayPal will pay the merchant but your account will remain negative for that amount until you add funds to the account. 

If you have your PayPal account linked to your Smart Connect account, PayPal will use funds from that credit line to pay the amount due.   Smiley Happy

“Faith is taking the first step even when you don’t see the whole staircase.”
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.