Valued Contributor

PayPass / PayWave

Is PayPass / PayWave safe?

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
afbar1114
Valued Contributor

Re: PayPass / PayWave

no ...because with a few simple gagdets around the house you can make a reader and all you need to do is be with a few feet and some one can read it
AMEX PRG; AMEX EveryDay $14,800; Freedom $6k; Sapphire $7k; IHG Select $5k; Discover $2,400; BofA Better Balance $9,100; Bank Americard $5,900; Citi DC $2,700; Citi Diamond $2,500; BestBuy $20,000; Amazon Prime $5k, United Club $15,000; Home Depot $20,000; Barclays $7,500

Total Credit Limits: $122,650
Message 2 of 20
CS800
Super Contributor

Always makes me nervous to see something that emits a signal. Something surely can be out three looking for those signal

Message 3 of 20
corymcd88
Valued Contributor

@afbar1114 wrote:
no ...because with a few simple gagdets around the house you can make a reader and all you need to do is be with a few feet and some one can read it

That is what I thought, But why all the hype about them? Why would they want to permote a very unsafe card. They should have a pin, but that does nothing much faster.

Message 4 of 20
singulardedication
Valued Member

[quote]

Can my information be read from my Visa Micro Tag without my knowledge?

To authorize a payment, you must wave your Visa Micro Tag directly within 1-2 inches of a secure reader at an authorized merchant, and it must be properly oriented. Each time you use the Visa Micro Tag, a unique transaction code is generated, which must be verified through the reader before the transaction can be completed.

http://usa.visa.com/personal/cards/paywave/faq.html 

I'm doughtfull its quite as cut and dry as VISA reports.  Its RF Technology and they are not disclosing much about it.  For example, Passports can be read many feet away with the right equipment.  For Passports they give you foil holders and I heard they sell metal wallets as well for passports and even credit cards like this.

I'd ask for your card without this feature if possible since the benefit is low and it may increase risk slightly.

Starting Score: TU 732 | EQ 655 | EX Plus 725 [Jan 2012]
Current Score: TU 697 | EQ 694 | EX 659 (psecu) [aPRIL 2012]
Goal Score: 760 In Aggressive paydown mode, thinking Amex BCE for 2013

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 20
corymcd88
Valued Contributor

@CS800 wrote:

Always makes me nervous to see something that emits a signal. Something surely can be out three looking for those signal

Me too, My wells fargo card has that and my Bank of America card.

Message 6 of 20
vizon
Regular Contributor

@afbar1114 wrote:

That is simply the case with almost any card unfortunately. It is more safe than giving it to your waitor at a restaurant or putting it into a website that stores CC info..

My philosophy.. take care of your personal stuff. Don't be careless, but if something unfortunately does happen to you, you are more protected than you would be with cash. Usually you can recover all the lost funds on a CC, but your cash can't.

Message 7 of 20
corymcd88
Valued Contributor

@vizon wrote:

@afbar1114 wrote:

That is simply the case with almost any card unfortunately. It is more safe than giving it to your waitor at a restaurant or putting it into a website that stores CC info..

My philosophy.. take care of your personal stuff. Don't be careless, but if something unfortunately does happen to you, you are more protected than you would be with cash. Usually you can recover all the lost funds on a CC, but your cash can't.

Very true you are a lot safer then cash that is why I like it. You can't replace cash!
Message 8 of 20
afbar1114
Valued Contributor

@corymcd88 wrote:

@vizon wrote:

@afbar1114 wrote:

Very true you are a lot safer then cash that is why I like it. You can't replace cash!

yea i hate cash i have lost some in the past and i hate losing it....most of the places by me all take credit/debit now so there is no need to worry about it any more

AMEX PRG; AMEX EveryDay $14,800; Freedom $6k; Sapphire $7k; IHG Select $5k; Discover $2,400; BofA Better Balance $9,100; Bank Americard $5,900; Citi DC $2,700; Citi Diamond $2,500; BestBuy $20,000; Amazon Prime $5k, United Club $15,000; Home Depot $20,000; Barclays $7,500

Total Credit Limits: $122,650
Message 9 of 20
TheBronxBomber
Regular Contributor

I have a MasterCard pay pass and I'm totally afraid to use it. I've never seen anyone use it either.

Current myFICO Scores:03/08/12 EQ: 801 • TU: 801 • Bank of America TU FICO: 822 • Credit Karma Vantage: 873

My Wallet: Amex Business Platinum | Amex SPG (5k) | Amex Delta Reserve (33k) | Citi ThankYou Premier World MasterCard (26k) | Chase Mileage Club Visa Signature (15k)
Sock Drawer: Barclay Ring MasterCard (10k) | Discover More (6.5k) | CapitalOne VentureOne (4.5k) | Macy's | Amex Platinum Personal
Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.