cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying AMEX Charge Card Before Statement Cuts?

tag
stefanc
Regular Contributor

Re: Paying AMEX Charge Card Before Statement Cuts?

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

@pakman92 wrote:

i believe it may have an effect.  part of the scoring is based on how many accounts have a balance.

+1

It will be scored as an additional account with a balance, which may (or may not) affect your scores.

+2

Everytime I let my Plat report with a balance I take a hit on my scores (guess I'm right on the edge of too many accounts with a balance - about 30%ish  of them - all promo - 0% stuff). Anyway I always pay my Amex's to 0 before the statement cuts, the CSR's have even mentioned that - so I think Amex likes it!

Message 11 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Remember for Score optimization all non Mortgage TL's need to total under 5K (I think Smiley Indifferent). However Total owed to creditors is a small portion of your FICO score.

Message 12 of 15
konabill
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Remember for Score optimization all non Mortgage TL's need to total under 5K (I think Smiley Indifferent). However Total owed to creditors is a small portion of your FICO score.

When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”― John Lennon

Awesome siggy.

TU 802 EQ 806
*USAA*PENFED*NFCU*AMEX*DISCOVER*CiTi*WALMART*BESTBUY*
Message 13 of 15
crunching_numbers
Valued Contributor

It will affect your overall debt (balances owed on non-mortgage accounts). This can affect your FICO. It does mine, but I have a large debt load at the moment. YMMV

Starting Score: 693 TU FICO, 679 EQ FICO
Current Score: FICO 8 = 844(9/15) EQ, 827 TU, 811 EX (7/15); mortgage FICO= 758 (9/15)EQ5, 797 TU4, 748 EX2 (7/15)
Goal Score: 750+, but shooting for the 800's
Hyatt Visa Sig ($23K), Amex BCP (24.8K), BofA Travel Rew Sig (22.5K), B&N World MC (22.3K), Amex RP Gold (NPSL w/ S&T), Cash+ Sig (20K),United Mil+ExpSig (16.3K), FNBO Visa (13.1K), Hilton Surpass (10K), Freedom Visa Sig (8.6K), Disc It (16.4K), Citi Dia Pref MC (3.7K),Sam's MC (10K), Wally (7.5K), JCP(5.3K), Costco (2K)
Message 14 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@konabill wrote:
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”― John Lennon

Awesome siggy.

Thanks Smiley Very Happy

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.