Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying AMEX early.....question....

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Paying AMEX early.....question....

For those who are trying to pay multiple times before your first statement...you cant either by phone or AMEX website until your first statement cuts. Thats just how AMEX is set up. You can, however, push a payment from your bank's bill pay if you would like.

Also, CHARGE cards do NOT factor into UTI for FICO. Im not sure why the paranoia of reporting a balance, but anyway.

I think this is my first post too so hi ficoforums lol long time lurker Smiley Wink

Message 21 of 32
danisgods
Regular Contributor

do you know that for a fact? how come ?

Starting Score: TU 715 EQ 704
Current Score: TU 715 EQ 704
Goal Score: 760-780

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 22 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

danisgods, if youre asking me, yes I know this for a fact.

For the first month not allowing multiple pull payments (as opposed to pushing from your bank account)...first, because I tried to do the same thing last year on a new card and 3 different CSR's at Amex told me that until your first statement cuts, their system is not set up to allow multiple pulls for payments. Also, it has been talked about ad nauseum on another big credit board.

As far as the UTI issue, it has also been talk about ad nauseum, and a simple Google search of "does a charge card balance factor into utilization for fico?" will turn up all the info you need, including many from this board.

Hope that helps-

Message 23 of 32
DI
Super Contributor

I like PenFed and BOA for this type of issue.  PenFed and BOA allows one to make payments before a balance is posted.   I don't like AMEX for the reason that you decribed. I've always had to pay through my bank to force a payment to AMEX.   But I prefer paying directly to the bank who I owe. 

Message 24 of 32
vish1
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

danisgods, if youre asking me, yes I know this for a fact.

For the first month not allowing multiple pull payments (as opposed to pushing from your bank account)...first, because I tried to do the same thing last year on a new card and 3 different CSR's at Amex told me that until your first statement cuts, their system is not set up to allow multiple pulls for payments. Also, it has been talked about ad nauseum on another big credit board.

As far as the UTI issue, it has also been talk about ad nauseum, and a simple Google search of "does a charge card balance factor into utilization for fico?" will turn up all the info you need, including many from this board.

Hope that helps-

AFAIK new fico algo is supposed to ignore charge cards but unfortunately the old fico algos do not ignore them and many (read most) lenders still use old fico algos.

Citi Hilton Reserve 22.3K | Citi Thank You 8.2K | CSP 15.5K | Chase Freedom 10K | Chase BA 15K | Chase United 8.5K | Chase Marriott 5K | Discover IT 9K | Club Carlson 13K | Amex SPG 20K | BofA Cash Rewards 11K | BofA Cash Rewards 50K
Message 25 of 32
halos24
Frequent Contributor

I have had my Zync card since December, and recently since Jan the Costco True Earnings and after speaking to an Amex rep just two days ago he said you already made a $500 payment towards my balance of $898 on the True Earnings card (due date is March 3rd), and you cannot make another payment for the first month.  He said you can certainly call us and we can do it for you no charge.  Now, I was going to PIF any ways prior to the due date, but I decided to log in today and see my recent charges and tried to make a second payment within one week and guess what it worked! 

Now would it be because I already had the Zync card and they have my checking acct# already?  Who knows, but it worked and regardless the rep said even when they do implement this it is only for the first 30 days of new accounts. 

So just sharing...
MyFico 3B Scores: EQ: 3/22/16 (727), EX (710) TU (714)

Message 26 of 32
DI
Super Contributor

@halos24 wrote:
I have had my Zync card since December, and recently since Jan the Costco True Earnings and after speaking to an Amex rep just two days ago he said you already made a $500 payment towards my balance of $898 on the True Earnings card (due date is March 3rd), and you cannot make another payment for the first month.  He said you can certainly call us and we can do it for you no charge.  Now, I was going to PIF any ways prior to the due date, but I decided to log in today and see my recent charges and tried to make a second payment within one week and guess what it worked! 

Now would it be because I already had the Zync card and they have my checking acct# already?  Who knows, but it worked and regardless the rep said even when they do implement this it is only for the first 30 days of new accounts. 

So just sharing...

The rep misspoke.  More than one payment per month can be made if a balance continues to report. 

Message 27 of 32
JRomulus
Regular Contributor

Yes, halos24, I believe for the charge cards at least it is a first month thing (only) from what I've heard.  I'm in my first month and I am using it for everything, and my statement closing date is today.  2 days ago I sent a nice payment in via the website, but now the option is unavailable.  I'm sure they have a reason for this.

Message 28 of 32
DI
Super Contributor

@JRomulus wrote:

Yes, halos24, I believe for the charge cards at least it is a first month thing (only) from what I've heard.  I'm in my first month and I am using it for everything, and my statement closing date is today.  2 days ago I sent a nice payment in via the website, but now the option is unavailable.  I'm sure they have a reason for this.

I guess different cards operate differently when wanting to make payments. 

Message 29 of 32
JaseT
Established Contributor

@JRomulus wrote:

This is my first month on AMEX and I already made an online payment and the option to make another is still there.

BK7 Filed 12/16, Discharged 3/17 *** Current Revolving CL Total $122.1k *** PIF/AZEO
6/19 FICO SCORES:
On My Radar Cards: Nothing ATM
Future Goal Cards: US Bank Cash +, Citi Double Cash, Discover It, BoA Cash Rewards, USAA Cashback Rewards Plus Amex
Message 30 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.