Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying AMEX with Discover and vice versa

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Paying AMEX with Discover and vice versa

Is it doable? Would either company freak out? Here's the scenario I'm thinking of: Use amex to cover all utilities, gym, etc. all of my normally pif bills each month, then use Discover via mycheckfree to pay amex, then pif Discover from my bank, basically doubling my rewards. What say ye?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: Paying AMEX with Discover and vice versa

@Anonymous wrote:

Is it doable? Would either company freak out? Here's the scenario I'm thinking of: Use amex to cover all utilities, gym, etc. all of my normally pif bills each month, then use Discover via mycheckfree to pay amex, then pif Discover from my bank, basically doubling my rewards. What say ye?

I'm not aware that you can pay a CC with a CC....Smiley Indifferent

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

From what I understood from reading the site, the biller (i.e. Amex) would have to offer an option to pay the e-bill using a credit card - which they don't,. And it further states that some billers will charge a fee for paying the bill with a credit card. So even in the unlikely event that Amex let you pay the bill with a CC, you'd probably lose more through the CC fees than you'd get back from rewards.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

All good points, thank you. I should make it clear that with my question I'm not looking to avoid payment, merely maximize rewards. Has anyone found a way to use anything but the wells fargo mortgage rewards CC to pay a wells fargo mortgage and gain the fruits of the huge amounts of rewards involved? Thanks again for the input!

Message 4 of 5
bettercreditguy1
Established Contributor

I do not believe  you are purchasing a service or item, therefore it would probably register as a cash advance. Fees and interest would be very high thus negating what you are attempting to accomplish.

Updated scores 3/7/21 TU 849, EQ 829, Ex 818 (all Fico scores) Remember the Three P's: Pay early in Full, Pay on Time, Patience
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.