Did you mean: 

Paying Auto, Mortgage with credit card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Paying Auto, Mortgage with credit card?

Have you evern seen this?

http://www.williampaid.com/pricing

This would be an excellent way for me to get more Southwest Airlines Points...

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Brusilov
Established Contributor

Re: Paying Auto, Mortgage with credit card?

To pay your rent with any bank account is FREE. However, should you choose to pay by credit card, or use multiple accounts, a 2.95% fee will apply.

So the real question is do you have a rewards program that gives >= 2.95%?

Message 2 of 8
boomhower
Valued Contributor

The vast majority of lenders won't let you pay these loan with a credit card and I can't say I blame them.  Assuming your credit is good, allowing you to pay your 1.9% or similar low interest car loan with a credit card is a losing proposition, they won't make any money and would likely lose money on the deal after factoring in CC fees and other costs incurred servicing the loan. 

Message 3 of 8
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

If they're charging a % fee, it's probably not worthwhile.  I thought someone posted a similar service one time that charges a flat fee, e.g., $15 to pay your rent or something along those lines. So if the charge was high enough, it could be worth your while.  Can't remember the details of the service though.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 8
iCoop
Regular Contributor

The fee for paying with a credit card kills this... but thanks for the site information OP.

Starting Score: EQ 675 | TU 688 | EX 702
Current Score: EQ 795 | TU 788 | EX 770
Goal Score: 750 (Across All 3)

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 8
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

Certain charges like life insurance, mortgage, car loans need to be paid with real money and not with credit....it is too dangerous for the lender and borrower to get on this sort of treadmill where it can spiral out of control in short order.  Don't let rewards cloud basic good money control.

Message 6 of 8
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

These are treated as cash advances, hence the percentage fee.

This virtually never works out for any sort of reward boosting as the lenders stamp these out as soon as they find them (there have been some loopholes over time, but lenders zealously root them out with their datamining).  

That said, if you have some need to goose monthly spend through your cards (*cough* Amex) then maybe it's worth the fee if you consider it to be a short-cut to a lender of choice.  Certainly I've spent more in financing other tradelines for pure FICO purposes anyway.

        
Message 7 of 8
iCoop
Regular Contributor

@Watchmann wrote:

Certain charges like life insurance, mortgage, car loans need to be paid with real money and not with credit....it is too dangerous for the lender and borrower to get on this sort of treadmill where it can spiral out of control in short order.  Don't let rewards cloud basic good money control.

This...

Starting Score: EQ 675 | TU 688 | EX 702
Current Score: EQ 795 | TU 788 | EX 770
Goal Score: 750 (Across All 3)

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.