Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Paying CC's by mail?

@Anonymous wrote:

@MstrPTato wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@MstrPTato wrote:

I don't even remember the last time I got a paper statement.

I was surprised to get one today!  I had moved an Amex account from a combined login to a separate one, and apparently that lost the paperless selection (while retaining all payment accounts etc)

Only one I still get is from NASA.  They apparently like to waste paper.

I have never seens a NASA one...weird.

Found the option and fixed.  Saved another tree

Congrats!! Smiley LOL

Message 21 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

On the rare chance you win $1,199 on a slot machine in Reno i see no problem buying money orders and knocking out bills the old fashoined way. Paper trail is still there they are YOUR bills but the income wasnt reported.

Message 22 of 44
Existentialist
Frequent Contributor

All good fun aside OP. If you're comfortable with your preferred method.... do your thing. Not sure how long you've been using mail (as I dont recall U having indicated) but I guess until it becomes a problem....

Message 23 of 44
Desmoire
Regular Contributor

@rlx01 wrote:
The real question here is why anyone would do this?

Stamp costs 45c or whatever. Your check can get lost. Your payment isn't applied until received, etc, etc.

What's wrong with paying online where it costs you nothing and is applied same day?

Inquiring minds want to know.

It was a loan at my bank--consolidated the balances at a much lower rate than what my CC's were. My bank cut me cashier's checks that I had to send. Otherwise yes..i would never send via mail otherwise I always pay online.

myFICO Scores EQ 778 TU 783 EX 772 | Mortgage 106774.00 | Auto Loan 15251.00 | AMEX BCE 0/25500 | Lowes 0/6300 | Barclay Rewards 0/5000 | NASA FCU 0/5000 | FNBO 0/4400 | Amazon 0/4000 | FNBO Employee 283/2900 | NFM 0/2600 | Chase Freedom 0/2500 | Best Buy 0/2300 | Cap One 0/2250 | FNBO 0/1100 | NASA FCU Rewards 0/1000 | Quicksilver 0/750 | Younkers 0/500 TOTAL: 283/74,450 0.003% UTIL
Message 24 of 44
Involver
Valued Contributor

People still use checks?

And mail?

Message 25 of 44
Callandra
Valued Contributor

I have to write a check for rent. Smiley Happy (And if I'm giving my boyfriend money, I like writing him a check which forces him to deposit it -- if I give him cash, it mysteriously disappears from his wallet very quickly!)

I like mail. I need it to get my packages for things I order online Smiley LOL

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 26 of 44
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@MstrPTato wrote:

I do, and it's not fond memories. From 1995-2005 I lived in Vegas and traveled alot, 60k+ airline miles per year. My house was in a decent neighborhood but within walking distance of the Strip and periodically there'd be .... questionable charactors in the nieghborhood. I didn't like the idea of several days of mail sitting in the unlocked mailbox on my porch so I installed one of those brass slots the mailman could push the mail though inside and put a trash can underneath to catch the mail. Longest trip was 2 1/2 months in Morocco on a hotel project, it took me a week to go through all the %$#@! mail when I got home. I was soooo happy when paperless billing & web payments came along.

I get 2 paper bills a month: 1) My mortgage statement. I didn't reaffirm in my 2010 BK, have never been late, but they still won't resume auto pay, I have to send them the paper, they won't take it from my account. I mailed them a check for years, but finally got my small community bank to pay them electronically through their bill pay. 2) My health insurance. It's a Univ. of AZ Marketplace policy through HealthCare.gov. My portion after tax credit is only $28/mo, so I pay it with my Merrick Bank Visa, that & Netflix to keep the otherwise SD'd card active. Statement cuts on the 13th, so I pay the health insurance on the 15th & PIF before next statement. A week or so later a paper bill comes for the amount I've already paid. I've spent a half hour on the phone twice now trying to get them to switch to paperless, finally got transferred to a 'senior rep' the other day who admited they don't have paperless billing 'yet'. I told her (politely) that they really need to get some (very basic) 21st century technology.

Message 27 of 44
icyhot
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@MstrPTato wrote:

Not sure what that has to do with anything.  I get paper statements on every account.  But I never mail a payment back; I have everything set up to automatically pull the statement balance on the due date from my primary checking account.  If I decide to prepay before the statement cuts, then I push from my Discover checking.

Chris.

Holy smokes! So many cards! How do you keep up?

Ch 7 BK discharged 12/2018
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K
Store Cards: Bergdorf Goodman $10.5K | Neiman Marcus $7.5K | Care Credit $7K |
Scores: EX 656 | EQ 667 | TU 680

Goal Card: Amex Platinum (Amex IIB, waiting for 5 year mark)
Message 28 of 44
icyhot
Valued Contributor

@FinStar wrote:
I suppose some individuals do not trust electronic remittance or doing things online? Maybe the OP is still trying to keep the USPS afloat Smiley Wink It still surprises me when I see a variety of people (of any age) still using paper checks at the stores where Debit, major CCs or cash are accepted.

I once had a customer that didn't even have a debit card! She wrote checks to everything. Said she didn't want to just be swiping away. lol

Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K

Message 29 of 44
icyhot
Valued Contributor

@Involver wrote:

People still use checks?

And mail?

I personally love going to the store and paying my store cards with checks. Not sure why. Just saw my customers do it so much I wanted to get in on it!

Message 30 of 44
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.