Did you mean: 

Paying CC's by mail?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Paying CC's by mail?

@icyhot wrote:

@FinStar wrote:
I suppose some individuals do not trust electronic remittance or doing things online? Maybe the OP is still trying to keep the USPS afloat Smiley Wink It still surprises me when I see a variety of people (of any age) still using paper checks at the stores where Debit, major CCs or cash are accepted.

I once had a customer that didn't even have a debit card! She wrote checks to everything. Said she didn't want to just be swiping away. lol

When the bank gave my Grandma a debit card, she went downtown and gave it back to them!

That being said, I used to mail a check for all my bills. Recently (within the last month and a half), I got a Discover checking account, and I'm trying to force myself to use their bill pay to get the $0.10. My landlord and health insurance only accept checks, so I will write the checks off the Discover account and still get $0.10. I'm also starting to pay my other bills like phone and electricity with a credit card to get cash back or airline miles.

It's a big change, and I do feel more comfortable mailing the checks, but I'm trying to get used to paying on the computer.

Message 31 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

I get paper statements and mail checks for all my cards. I find the whole process pleasant and I like to have physical records just in case.

Besides, I won't say it's not more wasteful to have paper, but trees are farmed just like any other agricultural product. Nobody's cutting down rainforest for statement paper when they can get it much cheaper from a tree farm.

I certainly don't campaign for people to switch to my system; to each his own.
Message 32 of 44
taxi818
Super Contributor

Okay. But there are records when you pay online too. Just look at bank statement. And or credit card statement. I would hate to see a payment lost in the mail. Wouldn't be first time nor the last. What a shame from mailing things. Each his own however.
Message 33 of 44
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@taxi818 wrote:
Okay. But there are records when you pay online too. Just look at bank statement. And or credit card statement. I would hate to see a payment lost in the mail. Wouldn't be first time nor the last. What a shame from mailing things. Each his own however.

Right.   While many here want to PIF before statement cut, if you set auto-pay to PIF on due date, providing you have money in your bank account, it becomes the issuers responsibility, so it will hard to charge late fees.   If you mail stuff, you don't really have records unless you pay money for registered mail or whatever: basically you claim you mailed something, they didn't receive it, you are late!

Message 34 of 44
taxi818
Super Contributor

Well I didn't want to say it. But yeah. Risk is higher to be late. That's the whole point of paying online. Always keep money in bank to cover my expenses. Hopefully at least 6 months worth.
Message 35 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

i always pay online since its quicker and save paper too ha

Message 36 of 44
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@icyhot wrote:

@Involver wrote:

People still use checks?

And mail?

I personally love going to the store and paying my store cards with checks. Not sure why. Just saw my customers do it so much I wanted to get in on it!

I suppose everyone has their own system that works.  Of course, I have tons of accounts so an electronic payment system works for me best.  Click here, click there, submit, done... oh, now I can have ice cream and not drive to the store!

Message 37 of 44
creditconcept
Regular Contributor

You wouldn't be a true myFicoer until you sign up for paperless statements, have a statement balance of $0.00, print out the statement yourself, and then send in a Chase slate access check for $84.30 to cover the pending charges that you calculated will post while your letter is in the mail...! Smiley Wink I love this forums culture lol.

Message 38 of 44
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Not sure what that has to do with anything.  I get paper statements on every account.

It has as much to do with anything as how you get paper statements on all your accounts.  The person you're replying to was just stating how they do things just like you were stating how you do things.

@rlx01 wrote:
The real question here is why anyone would do this?

Not really.  One size does not fit all.  All that matters is that the individual does whatever works for that person.  There are pros and cons with any set of options and not everyone will agree that any one given option is best no matter what the topic.

Message 39 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

@icyhot wrote:

@Involver wrote:

People still use checks?

And mail?

I personally love going to the store and paying my store cards with checks. Not sure why. Just saw my customers do it so much I wanted to get in on it!

Please never shop any where I do.  I'd hate to have to slap you upside your head :-)

Message 40 of 44
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.