cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying Rent with my AMEX. Should I? DONT DO IT!!!! (Update)

tag
UpNUp
Regular Contributor

Re: Paying Rent with my AMEX. Should I? DONT DO IT!!!!

Good for you!

Message 21 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mross1080 wrote:

Ok so I paid it this afternoon. Was just having dinner out with the wife and I get the FR call from amex! What the heck. Not even a day later. I told the women I wasnt submitting to more info than I needed to give for a mortgage and I wasnt willing to sign there form. The women told me I could fax in my last 2 paystubs and 3 months of bank statements. Im going to do that. She also told me that my card was suspended till the review was completed. I then told her that she called me in the middle of taking my wife to a nice dinner and I was going to use my card for dinner but now capital was going to make the money instead of them. I also pointed out that last month along I charged 800 in going out to dinner and capital one was now going to get all of that since they have better rewards and how ridiculous is it that a supposed prime company lost business to a supposed sub prime like cap one. Im so aggravated!

mross, I just want to ask you a question.   Have you ever thought about calling Amex prior to make this payment?   

If you did, they will tell you what you have to do in the advance then you could avoid this.   ... just IMO

Message 22 of 38
mross1080
Established Contributor

Before I did it I checked the spending availability button and put in double the amount and it said approved. I figured that would be more than good. I dont have to check with any of my other cards and it wasnt a huge charge. I have bought things with higher amounts tv's, washer and dryers, car down payments etc. and didnt have to notify anyone or even have to click a spending availabiltiy button. Im just annoyed at the way they go about it all. And to top it off they suspend the account like im a horrible person or something. I worked really hard to get a decent rating and it makes you feel like your a deadbeat. I had bad credit for a long time and it feels crappy. I finally got to a point where I feel good about it all and then here comes amex treating you like crap. Sorry for venting I just feel they go about it horribly.

Message 23 of 38
YoungEntrepeneur
Established Contributor

AMEX is known for mood swings. I wouldn't do it, it would be best to avoid raising any red flags when possible.

Message 24 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Paying Rent with my AMEX. Should I? DONT DO IT!!!! (Update)

I've been using green and gold more and more,  I use the gold for eating out, cell phone carrier bills and cable though I did by a new stove this week for $1,000 on it which I plan to PIF this weekend and before the statement cuts.  I use green for groceries mostly, never gas and not for anything less than $25.00.  I don't understand why they would call for a FR for a rent payment but not if you buy gas or groceries. Using "the Card" for rent, gas, or groceries could indicate the customer has financial problems.

As far as an FR goes, I'd let them look over my tax returns if they wanted to.  HR Block already does and who knows who can access my filing from their server?

I had to file tax returns for my mortgage company when I bought my house so they have them too.

But Am Ex would save a lot of grief by addressing this issue on their site under FAQ maybe (recommended uses of your card and circumstances when you should not use your card--(like for attorney fees or to pay your psychiatrist.)

Message 25 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

All through residency I used to pay my $1300/mo rent with my gold card. It was never an issue and I never needed to talk to them about it.
Message 26 of 38
Tazman81
Established Contributor

mross1080:  its just a mood swing (as another poster said)...  just let it pass and keep on going.  hopefully once this is complete, you shouldn't have any other issues in the future.  I do disagree with the fact that they suspended the card though.  I would call them up as soon as the documents are faxed and ask them to review them rigth then and there so that your account can go back to normal standing.  I would not let this discourage you from using your card to continue earning points.  Unless of course you have a different card that you can use which would give you better points.

Current Score: Eq: 823 Tu: 830
Goal Score: Eq: 850 Tu: 850

Wallet: PenFed Power Cash 50k | AMEX Blue Cash (AU) 49.5k | Cap One QSMC 26.5k | AMEX Platinum NPSL | USAA Signature Visa 25k
Message 27 of 38
mross1080
Established Contributor

I just faxed over 52 pages to them so Im going to call now and see. I let you know how it goes.

Message 28 of 38
mross1080
Established Contributor

Just spoke to a very bitter angry women who told me the women who called me yesterday is the only one that can review it and shes out till sunday. That makes sense. So I have to wait for there incompetance.

Message 29 of 38
wollepopolle
Established Contributor

That's ridiculous. I like my Amex Blue Cash but I don't trust AMEX not a bit more than any other company. If you need them most, they bite you. If you don't need them, they pour honeyed words all over you and want your business. I have demoted my Amex to second-tier in my wallet. I am now using my BoA card much more (better cashback anyway). I feel for you.

Hold on to the card, though, and don't give these smart alecks any more reason to punish you. Just make a small purchase once in a while and find a better card for your main monthly charges.

Message 30 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.