Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying a CC "too fast" ?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Paying a CC "too fast" ?

Any truth to getting AA for paying a card too quickly ? I just got my Ritz card (CHASE) and the $395 AF hit yesterday. I want to pay it off and begin charging -- it shows my balance $395 and CL $5,000. Will I be ok paying this off today? I've read of people and their scare tactics about getting AA for paying "too soon".

Thoughts ?
Message 1 of 56
55 REPLIES 55
elim
Senior Contributor

Re: Paying a CC "too fast" ?

Most times I see people commenting on to many payments in a billing cycle.  I would let it ride and make a simple, large payment.  Don't want to look to excited, lol.

Message 2 of 56
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

I've always made multiple payments with all my lenders (except Amex, lol). I don't see why you'd get AA for paying them back their money.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 3 of 56
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lol why does AMEX not like multiple payments ?? Do they do FR for it
Message 4 of 56
core
Valued Contributor

I'd pay the card whenever you want to pay it.  They are not going to can a customer who's paying them a $395 annual fee just because he paid his balance.  Dontcha think this is a bit on the paranoid side?  I mean really.

For what it's worth, I haven't even seen any issues with lots of payments per cycle.  I send most of my Chase cards 20+ payments a month, and these are annoyingly small amounts.  No AA.  If they want to get mad some day, they can have their darn cards back.  And their little dog too.

Message 5 of 56
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

No, just being cautious with them lol. Since I'm just starting out with them.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 6 of 56
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can pay the annual fee after it posted, nothing wrong with that. I did the same with Chase and on the second card, I got a golden ticket Smiley Wink I called them " The King"

Message 7 of 56
bada_bing
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Any truth to getting AA for paying a card too quickly ? I just got my Ritz card (CHASE) and the $395 AF hit yesterday. I want to pay it off and begin charging -- it shows my balance $395 and CL $5,000. Will I be ok paying this off today? I've read of people and their scare tactics about getting AA for paying "too soon".

Thoughts ?

Why the hurry ? 

In my experience issuers don't care if you pay anytime after charges post. Unless you need

to free up available credit for a planned purchase though, there is no benefit to rapid payment.

Utilization that everyone frets about is only reported once a month, on the statement cut date typically.

I'd use your available limit as benefits you and only worry about what is on the account when the

statement cuts. After you get a bank account linked to pay your credit card, the payment process

is fast and reliable. Setting up autopay for balance due on the statement date is the easiest default

strategy and works perfectly.

One thing issuers do not like, and I have gotten nasty-grams about several times, is paying too

early and having a positive balance on your account. Issuers have some legal contraints over

holding money rather than debt and they absolutely do not like positive balances on credit card

accounts. 

+ 850 FICO8 since 2015, Thanks MyFICO - 5+ years since last HP
Message 8 of 56
Anonymous
Not applicable

i make multiple payments on all my cards

Message 9 of 56
Anonymous
Not applicable

I pay any amount that hits my cards right away. Haven't ever heard a word from either company.

Message 10 of 56
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.