Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying by check.....

tag
GlocksAndCredit
Regular Contributor

Paying by check.....

OK - so does anyone have a card (from a credit union, or smaller bank) that they must pay by check (unless you have a bank account with them); because they don't accept electronic payments? 

My Suncoast Credit Union card is check payment only - I can't electronically pay my bill. So I don't use it. (I got this card when I got my car loan through them) Smiley Frustrated

Anyone else have a card like this? 

Quite frustrating......

Also - who still pays by check? Yowza......... i'm sure someone does Smiley Wink and that's fine.

CSP $9500, CapitalOne VentureOne Sig Visa $8000 Chase Freedom Sig Visa $5000, Citi ThankYou Preferred Sig Visa $5000, Amazon Store Card $5000, Discover IT $4800, CapitalOne Quick Silver MasterCard $4000, Fidelity AMEX $4000, Sallie Mae Mastercard $3300, Hilton Honors Sig Visa $3300, Citi Double Cash $2700, SunTrust Cash Rewards $2500, Citi Simplicity Visa $2300, AMEX BCE $2000, AMEX Everyday $2000, AMEX Delta SkyMiles $2000, Amazon Reward Visa $1800, BP VIsa $1800, Barclays Apple Visa $1700, Suncoast FCU $1000, Target REDCard $900

Current Scores: EQ 727 (Fico), EX 735 (Fico) **In the Garden unti....forever.
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Paying by check.....

@collinsridge wrote:

OK - so does anyone have a card (from a credit union, or smaller bank) that they must pay by check (unless you have a bank account with them); because they don't accept electronic payments? 

My Suncoast Credit Union card is check payment only - I can't electronically pay my bill. So I don't use it. (I got this card when I got my car loan through them) Smiley Frustrated

Quite frustrating......

Also - who still pays by check? Yowza......... i'm sure someone does Smiley Wink and that's fine.

Can you use your bank's bill pay feature?  So the bank mails the check rather than you.

Message 2 of 13
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@collinsridge wrote:

Quite frustrating......

Can you use your bank's bill pay feature?  So the bank mails the check rather than you.

+1.  Great idea!  This is exactly how I would pay it.  I use my banks bill pay for any bills that require such payment. 

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 3 of 13
barbaralee
Established Contributor

I hate to sound stuck up, but if my only option of payment was paper check I would probably never use the card. I don't have any cards with credit unions, all of mine are with big financial institutions, so I don't have the issue. All payments are either by billpay or phone. The only thing I pay with paper check is my rent.

Message 4 of 13
SevenNEW
Established Contributor

@barbaralee wrote:

I hate to sound stuck up, but if my only option of payment was paper check I would probably never use the card. I don't have any cards with credit unions, all of mine are with big financial institutions, so I don't have the issue. All payments are either by billpay or phone. The only thing I pay with paper check is my rent.

I bank with a very low-tech CU, but even they are now providing auto-pay and bill payment. I am sure OP's bank can send checks.

SevenNEW, Garden Nerd - In the Garden until 2015!
4.2K 10K 24.6K
Message 5 of 13
nachoslibres
Established Contributor

@barbaralee wrote:

This.  I just jumped banks from a local bank to Chase because of their lacking features (i.e. mobile deposit).

Message 6 of 13
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@barbaralee wrote:

The JCB card used to have no online payment option (although bank bill pay worked).  For me, this might be an exception, if the rewards are good enough, it's OK to have some inconvenience!

Message 7 of 13
eagle2013
Established Contributor

I guess I'm old fashioned - I have auto pay set to minimum balance just in case, but I pay all my bills, including CC by check. :-/ 

Message 8 of 13
steve23111
Frequent Contributor

It's astonishing, but the BB&T credit cards are still pay-by-mail only unless you have a BB&T checking/savings account.  They're a fairly large regional bank covering most of the eastern and southeastern part of the country, and I've always been surprised they maintain this limitation on their cards.  I still have their Visa card though I closed my checking account with them quite some time ago in favor of Alliant CU, so in the rare instance I use my BB&T card I have Alliant send them a check.

Message 9 of 13
destine2grow
Frequent Contributor

Fifth Third bank only want you to make payments from their checking account and if you want to pay by phone you are charged a $15 fee. So I have my loan as a an automatic draft from the checking account I have with them and only deposit that amount every month in the checking acct. I pay me secured cc by my check app or I write a check from my other account and pay at the local branch.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.