cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying for rent w/ CC...frowned upon or o.k.?

tag
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

Re: Paying for rent w/ CC...frowned upon or o.k.?

@pizza1 wrote:
Thank you!! They do charge a small few, I believe it's between $7-12, can't remember, but worth the extra fee to do it? Was thinking it would help utilize one of my cc's better.

As I've said before I think you are a little OCD about your 1% reporting.

For me the $15 charge made putting my rent on my card pointless.  The 1.5% CB from CapOne was negated by the fee... and so were the Rewards points from my BECU card.  I've paid with a checking debit for about a year now.

I've got better cards now but it doesn't matter to me anymore... my $1500 rent is paid by my 2 roommates that I charge $750 each.  All I pay is about $300 in utilities and cable/internet. Don't care about CC rewards... having someone else pay my rent is good enough.  Smiley Happy

FICO8 current as of : 4-12-24 EQ: 724 TU: 702 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 11 of 78
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

My new rent would be $910 a month , so minus the fee, I'd be more like $1.25 ?? Lol? Maybe I'm not calculating correctly
Message 12 of 78
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

So question for all of you...  I pay a friend of mine rent for a condo of his...  Only paying him 1500$ which is actually a steal where I live anyways, is there a way to pay him via CC although he doesn't take CC for obvious reasons?  Without buying Visa GC's amd MSing?  Any other method that someone can think about?  I don't mind paying like a $20 fee as it is offset by spending bonuses etc...  Thoughts anyone?  Thanks!

Message 13 of 78
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

So question for all of you...  I pay a friend of mine rent for a condo of his...  Only paying him 1500$ which is actually a steal where I live anyways, is there a way to pay him via CC although he doesn't take CC for obvious reasons?  Without buying Visa GC's amd MSing?  Any other method that someone can think about?  I don't mind paying like a $20 fee as it is offset by spending bonuses etc...  Thoughts anyone?  Thanks!

Convince him to get a Square and pay the addtl 2.75%.

Message 14 of 78
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

Depends on how comfortable you are with using serve. You can probably use that method to pay your rent every month with no fees. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 15 of 78
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Or ask the CC for BT checks and pay the 3% fee and deposit it into my account?  and just pay it off each month?   Would that be frowned upon?  So that would be $45 a month, but in some cases a person would come out way ahead still!  Unless I am thinking wrong?

Message 16 of 78
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

Or ask the CC for BT checks and pay the 3% fee and deposit it into my account?  and just pay it off each month?   Would that be frowned upon?  So that would be $45 a month, but in some cases a person would come out way ahead still!  Unless I am thinking wrong?

BT Checks do not count against spend bonuses though.

Message 17 of 78
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Would Chase frown upon loading Square up with $1500 a month?  Just got a targeted offer for a Marriott Card as well lol.. Ugh meeting all these spending requirements is becoming fun..  As Mentioned in other threads most likely will just add parents as an AU to meet the spend in 1 month to make it easier on myself send they spend a ton, but since I saw this thread was just wondering.

Message 18 of 78
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

BT Checks do not count against spend bonuses though.

Curses!  throw that out the window lol..  So square and what Chase would think about that...  Woud that be "cheating the system" to get rewads?

Message 19 of 78
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

Would Chase frown upon loading Square up with $1500 a month?  Just got a targeted offer for a Marriott Card as well lol.. Ugh meeting all these spending requirements is becoming fun..  As Mentioned in other threads most likely will just add parents as an AU to meet the spend in 1 month to make it easier on myself send they spend a ton, but since I saw this thread was just wondering.

If i were you i would look into redbird BB or serve or one of those prepaid cards. You can easily put in between 1500-5000 an month via cc to meet min spend. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 20 of 78
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.