cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying interest after PIF? Confused ...

tag
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

Re: Paying interest after PIF? Confused ...

@Sophiamarie wrote:

Hello everyone, I am very confused, I let my balances revolve on my capital one and bank of america credit cards last month, I sent the minimum payment and of course I had to pay interest.  Now this month I paid in full, I wanted both statements to close with a $0 balance so they could report that way to the CRAs.  However! they charged me interest! Smiley Sad and both cards closed with a balance.

a few thoughts: first, grace periods only apply to new charges, not carried over balances. Second, most cards calculate interest on average daily balance, not ending balance. So even though you paid the balance off before the next due date, you still "borrowed money" from them beginning the day of your previous due date and ending the day you paid the full balance. That borrowing period is what you paid interest on. Also, while you clicked the pay button on the 1 st, what day did your payment post?

In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 11 of 16
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

It normally takes 2 months of PIF to get to interest free.  

The interest they charged is the interest on the average dailiy balance of the statement period when you PIF.  No need to be upset. it is how it works.

Message 12 of 16
Sophiamarie
New Contributor

@Wolf3 wrote:

It normally takes 2 months of PIF to get to interest free.  

The interest they charged is the interest on the average dailiy balance of the statement period when you PIF.  No need to be upset. it is how it works.

Ok thank you ... I just thought that by PIF before the due date they wouldnt charge interest.  But I did carry a balance for a month and a half.   Now I know better. 

EXP 725 (Amex) EQ 678 TU 735
Message 13 of 16
Sophiamarie
New Contributor

@Cdnewmanpac wrote:

@Sophiamarie wrote:

Hello everyone, I am very confused, I let my balances revolve on my capital one and bank of america credit cards last month, I sent the minimum payment and of course I had to pay interest.  Now this month I paid in full, I wanted both statements to close with a $0 balance so they could report that way to the CRAs.  However! they charged me interest! Smiley Sad and both cards closed with a balance.

a few thoughts: first, grace periods only apply to new charges, not carried over balances. Second, most cards calculate interest on average daily balance, not ending balance. So even though you paid the balance off before the next due date, you still "borrowed money" from them beginning the day of your previous due date and ending the day you paid the full balance. That borrowing period is what you paid interest on. Also, while you clicked the pay button on the 1 st, what day did your payment post?

My payment posted the next following day, Feb 2nd, on both Cap One cards and Bank of America.

The No Hassle card has a 0% APR for 6 months so that one reported $0

Message 14 of 16
Sophiamarie
New Contributor

I forgot to mention I have 4 credit cards.

I wanted 3 of them to report $0 and 1 CC <7%

Message 15 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

most creditcredit aapply interst on new trasactions meaning if you pif the prvious stament you are out both stament number for number there a balance
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.