cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying less than owed really hurt credit score?

tag
UKTone
New Contributor

Paying less than owed really hurt credit score?

http://money.usnews.com/money/blogs/my-money/2012/05/09/7-weird-ways-to-hurt-your-credit-score

(6th bolded text down_

I have never kept a large balance on a credit card that I had to pay interest on yet... unfortunately I will be paying interest soon on my citi card. This has me a little worried since I have only had to pay interest once. I have never missed a minimum payment.

Also does paying interest on a credit card hurt your credit score?

Thank you.

Starting Score: 03/17/2013 665 EQ 01/09/2013 EX 724 TU 739?
Current Score: 03/27/2013 682 EQ 01
Goal Score: 850 all three FICO scores, 900 Vantage score, max insurance scores, etc.

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Rhaeny
Valued Contributor

Re: Paying less than owed really hurt credit score?

@UKTone wrote:

http://money.usnews.com/money/blogs/my-money/2012/05/09/7-weird-ways-to-hurt-your-credit-score

I have never kept a balance on a credit card that I had to pay interest on yet... unfortunately I will be paying interest soon on my citi card. This has me a little worried since I have only had to pay interest once. I have never missed a minimum payment.

Also does paying interest on a credit card hurt your credit score?

Thank you.

No, paying interest on your credit does not hurt your score at all, only your pockets.  As long as you make at least the minimum payment due by the due date on your cards there is no credit score penalty.   The CC report to the bureaus if you go over 30 days.  However, if you pay between say 1 and 29 days late you may be subject to their internal scoring.

EDIT:  I should add that the internal scoring may prevent you from getting CLI's, change the APR or even result in CLD.

Major CC's - Barclay's ($5.5K) | Barclay's Sallie Mae MC ($5K) | DCU ($7.5K) | Discover IT ($1.4K) | Genisys Visa ($1.4K) | NFCU Visa ($22K) | Navcheck ($15K) | Chase Freedom ($5K) | SDFCU Visa ($8K) | Amex BCP ($9.5K) | Amex Delta ($10K) |Store CC's| -Amazon ($4K) | Catherines ($850) | JCP ($4K) | Macy's ($1.7K) | Avenue ($850) | Victoria's Secret ($1.4K) | Walmart ($4.1K) | Paypal SC ($1.3K) | HSN ($2.5) | Sears ($2.6K) | Sams Club ($4.1K) |Goal|: Age with grace to 750 across the board |Last app|: 3/3/2014
Message 2 of 5
tcbofade
Super Contributor

No, paying interest on your credit card balance won't hurt your credit score...you're just paying the CC issuer a percentage for borrowing their money.

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 3 of 5
Rhaeny
Valued Contributor

BTW, that article is referring to those who have already missed payments and are in financial trouble.  Not to current cardholders who are just paying their debt over time.

Major CC's - Barclay's ($5.5K) | Barclay's Sallie Mae MC ($5K) | DCU ($7.5K) | Discover IT ($1.4K) | Genisys Visa ($1.4K) | NFCU Visa ($22K) | Navcheck ($15K) | Chase Freedom ($5K) | SDFCU Visa ($8K) | Amex BCP ($9.5K) | Amex Delta ($10K) |Store CC's| -Amazon ($4K) | Catherines ($850) | JCP ($4K) | Macy's ($1.7K) | Avenue ($850) | Victoria's Secret ($1.4K) | Walmart ($4.1K) | Paypal SC ($1.3K) | HSN ($2.5) | Sears ($2.6K) | Sams Club ($4.1K) |Goal|: Age with grace to 750 across the board |Last app|: 3/3/2014
Message 4 of 5
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Some of advice in this article is bad and not valid for FICO scores;  the mention of paying less than owed is in context of settling debt.

The author states that closing credit cards lowers AAoA which is not true for FICO scores:   "If that card is older than most of the other cards you have, the average age of existing accounts will also fall (bad)."

Also he is incorrect regarding cards with $0 limits ( signature / charge cards ) factored into revolving utilization  "would make your credit utilization artificially higher, which hurts your score. If the only credit card you had was one of these limitless credit cards, your credit utilization would be infinite."

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.