cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying more than minimum bad? Denial letter....

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Paying more than minimum bad? Denial letter....

Hey guys, so I recently starting bouncing back from CA's and sub-550 scores with wiping off a ton of old CA's due to them not verifying/debt was SOL. I've already "screwed up" by applying for, and getting, about 6 different cards:

Kohls $300, just upped to $700 this month

OldNavy $300, upped to $500 (store version, not VISA one)

Amazon $1000 (store version)

Credit One $300

Capital One Platinum $300

Capital One Quicksilver $500

Now, I tried increasing the limit on the one CC and the denial letter was nothing more than 'Accounts with payments greater than minimum balance too frequent/high in the past 6 months' and 'Accounts with payments greater than minimum balance too frequent/high in the past 12 months' (wording similar to that) and it threw me for a loop because if the wording means what it reads like... it's actually not a good thing (when rebuilding credit at least) to pay more than the minimums every month?

Side-note/questions, and it certainly might be the Quicksilver card "causing this", but it has 1.5% cashback, so I try to use that EVERYWHERE and then just re-pay the amount I just charged as soon as it posts, purely for the cash-back. Is that "bad" and/or will CC companies try to close accounts that "game" the system like that?

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Paying more than minimum bad? Denial letter....

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey guys, so I recently starting bouncing back from CA's and sub-550 scores with wiping off a ton of old CA's due to them not verifying/debt was SOL. I've already "screwed up" by applying for, and getting, about 6 different cards:

Credit One $300

Now, I tried increasing the limit on the one CC and the denial letter was nothing more than 'Accounts with payments greater than minimum balance too frequent/high in the past 6 months' and 'Accounts with payments greater than minimum balance too frequent/high in the past 12 months' (wording similar to that) and it threw me for a loop because if the wording means what it reads like... it's actually not a good thing (when rebuilding credit at least) to pay more than the minimums every month?

Side-note/questions, and it certainly might be the Quicksilver card "causing this", but it has 1.5% cashback, so I try to use that EVERYWHERE and then just re-pay the amount I just charged as soon as it posts, purely for the cash-back. Is that "bad" and/or will CC companies try to close accounts that "game" the system like that?

It makes no sense at all. It's a plus to pay as much as you can, and it's best to pay it down to zero.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Credit One $300

Welcome to MyFico

I wouldnt worry about the wording in the denial letter.  CC companies often give reasons for denials that make little to no sense.  Continue to pay more than the minimums.  That is always the best course of action.

For your QS card that is perfectly ok to use the card that way and may eventually lead to CLIs as they see you are regularly using the card.  Wish you continued good luck on your rebuilding.  For now I would not apply for any more cards and let the ones you have age for a good six months and your scores will go and you'll eventually be able to get some cards with better limits.

Message 3 of 16
delaney1
Established Contributor

I don't think it's that you're paying more then the minimum. I have a QS with 0% interest right now and my minimum ranges anywhere from $36-$67 and I always pay a few thousand towards my bill. 

Message 4 of 16
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Credit One $300

Welcome to the forums.  I helped a friend start rebuilding, it was two years post her bankruptcy.  We went with cap one, quicksilver one.  It was THE ONLY card.  Started at 500, just got soft pull cli of 1k (she has yet to understand how this works, just told her it was a forum trickSmiley Wink).  She paid more than the minimum.  Methinks those other accounts are biting you.  The scores climb out of the 500's quickly when you introduce one card.  Do not cancel cards at this point in time.  Do not get any more cards at this point in time.  Work on your reports first.  That is THE only guaranteed way to increase score.  Any more cards will cause AAoA to drop, and be low limit. 

Make the the rebuilding your credit forum your friend.  I successfully removed collections that were scheduled to drop off by 2019.  There is a lot of info to help, and it is A LOT OF WORK.  There is no bypassing this step.  Good things come to those who wait.  You can not expect to climb to the finish line in a year.  You can with 3 years, IF you clean up your report.

Signature needs updating
Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not easy to "quote" someone? Only had a reply button... anyway:

"Make the the rebuilding your credit forum your friend.  I successfully removed collections that were scheduled to drop off by 2019.  There is a lot of info to help, and it is A LOT OF WORK.  There is no bypassing this step.  Good things come to those who wait.  You can not expect to climb to the finish line in a year.  You can with 3 years, IF you clean up your report."

It seemed WAY to easy to get the old CA's remove, but there's a persistent one on my file, and 3 on the wifes. All unpaid (working on paying them) but when I called the CA's none of them were willing to accept payment and then removing the actual entry.... is this common? The wife's file even has a $1800 judgment we paid and that's only showing Satisfied. I'm sure, outside of a manual lender looking at the judgment, Satisfied or not, that's still a pretty bad thing to have on your report. Is there any way to actually get those removed once they are actually paid? I'd had to think I'm going to do "the right thing", pay these to get everything negative taken care of, just to have these entries still screwing me for 2-7(?) years on the reports... :-/

Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

That is nuts.... I've never heard anything like this before. 

Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Credit One $300

1) No the CC doesn't give a crap about you 'gaming' the system w/ the 1.5% cash back

a) Let's be honest it's $1.50 per $100

b) They get their exchange fee from the merchant, that's why they 'game' the public into using it 'EVERYWHERE'...in hopes of them getting 'free' money off transactions that would normally NEVER have made a dime on b/c the public hadn't been 'trained' to chase 'cash-back' thus making them money on transactions that truly are NOT 'really' credit based transactions.

Think about what RISK do I take as a CC company if you run your card, then immediately pay me....all you did FOR ME is get the poor schmuck merchant to spend me  portions of sales I really shouldn't be involved with b/c I'm really not 'lending' any money there really isn't any 'risk' being abated...I'm using the public to 'pimp' money from your cash register...

So 'no' don't stop....bubble gum, toilet paper, pens. paper, candy ...why should they give a crap it's FREE money with almost ZERO risk...that's the PLAN,Stan!

2) Another 'secret' many times that automated letter with 'reasons' for denial is just a bunch of gibberish to CYA with regard to

a) Meeting the MINIMUM requirement of the law (in a way, so vague it can't be determined that they discriminate against YOU in particular)

b) To have 'proof' "something" was sent, so why not just check a BUNCH of boxes...that way, again the answer to WHY is pointing 6 different directions

and not debatable....it's the old 'go away...it's not you, it's me' please let's NOT have anything to discuss, go chase cars and try to figure it out on your own,...please just ask somebody ELSE out, move!

Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I hear ya, I guess I just figured if I'm charging $200, and then paying it off as soon as it posts, and then $175 for groceries and then paying it off as soon as it posts they won't be making any money from me (interest), they'll literally be paying me. I'm 31, and I haven't had any sort of credit since we went full stupid at 18, so I guess trying to be "mature" now with credit I see all the "we, and you can close the account at any time for any reason" and I just thought that would be a legitimate reason for them to randomly close a card.

One last random question, is there any reason why no-one seemingly offers a MONTHLY 3-bureau scoring product and reports? Is it because you shouldn't really be expecting short-term changes in scores (which happens of course) or? Perfect example, I'm going to getting the Ultimate 3B for both of us shortly and that it quarterly everything, while the Essentials 1B (I understand it's just 1 bureau) is monthly... Bleh, I guess I got too used to CK's weekly TU and EQ updating.

Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Try Credit Check Total. They give you all 3 credit reports and scores monthly, but update Experian everyday.
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.