Did you mean: 

Paying my Mortgage with my card

tag
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Re: Paying my Mortgage with my card

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I am a "use my card for everything" kind of guy..how can I use it to pay for my mortgage and utilities without it being looked at as cash by my credit card company?

I know my buddy would get checks once a year with one of his CC's and he paid the mortgage that way.

Utilities?  That should be quite simple by just logging on the utilities website and just pay with your CC.

Our electric company in Florida (FPL) allows you to pay by credit card, by using western union. #CashAdvanceFees

Message 11 of 18
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I am a "use my card for everything" kind of guy..how can I use it to pay for my mortgage and utilities without it being looked at as cash by my credit card company?

I know my buddy would get checks once a year with one of his CC's and he paid the mortgage that way.

Utilities?  That should be quite simple by just logging on the utilities website and just pay with your CC.

Barclays sends me checks regularly, but using them incurs a 3-4% BT fee, so no go. I'm going to try Amex Serve, you can use it as a bill pay service, they'll print & mail a check to payees you setup. From what I've read some CCs code a charge to fund Serve as a purchase while others consider it a cash advance, so I'll try a couple small fundings with diffferent CCs and see how they code it. While Googling 'How to pay a mortgage payment with a CC" I read that some use Target prepaid debit card, you fund it in store so always coded as a purchase, but that's too much hassle for me, nearest Target is 45 minutes away and I never shop there.

Uttilities? Yeah, my electric company lets me pay with a CC w/no fee on their web site, I use Barclays Rewards MC & get 2% rewards on utilities. I live in the boonies on a 10 acre property so once a year it's $5-600 to fill the propane tank, it's a co-op so not coded as a utility so I use Cap One QS and get 1.5% rewards - unless there's a new card with spend bonus.

Message 12 of 18
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Last time I checked our local utilities charge $5 to pay on a credit card.

The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 13 of 18
thelethargicage
Valued Contributor

There are ways to pay bills (car loan, mortgage, utilities) with a credit card without paying a service fee. You just have to find the right product to Serve you.

Message 14 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@thelethargicage wrote:

There are ways to pay bills (car loan, mortgage, utilities) with a credit card without paying a service fee. You just have to find the right product to Serve you.

I see what you did there.

The point is though, unless the reward outweighs the effort. Some things are better being drafted from your bank account.

Message 15 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

+2 to Nixon.

I think in thie OP's case he might have hit a bump in the road and possibly doesn't have the cash ATM tho
and trying a workaround instead of a late payment/going without his family eating.

Just my guess and its a good topic in case this happens to anyone...

Message 16 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

If one is in a situation where they temporarily lack the financial resources to keep the roof over their head, a CC CAN serve as a safety net. It isn't the brightest idea unless you have an exit strategy, but it's better than living in a cardboard box.

That 2.5% fee may be worth the trouble after all.

Message 17 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

another way is to rent a room out, but that doesnt help "this" month's bill per se

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.