Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying of CC Debt- Closed Accounts Or Open

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Paying of CC Debt- Closed Accounts Or Open

@pizzadude wrote:

When there is a balance and a credit limit reported,  FICO will include it in your utilization regardless of whether the account is closed or open.

+1 on this, this is what Chase and BofA did way back when I was in a DMP.  The credit limits were still factored into my utilization so it didn't matter which ones I paid off first, open or closed.  I ended up paying down those with the higher APR first and my closed ones were the last to be paid because of that strategy.  

Message 11 of 22
TNTransplant
Established Contributor

@pizzadude wrote:

When there is a balance and a credit limit reported,  FICO will include it in your utilization regardless of whether the account is closed or open.

Very true.  I have about 14 revolving accounts, evenly split between open and closed.  Right now the closed ones are factoring into my utilization because all of them have the balance and the credit limit reporting.  I thought about this for quite a while, then realized the best option for me is to pay my OPEN accounts first.  If I paid off the closed ones first, once I reach a $0 balance the account would no longer factor into my overall available credit.  This would drastically raise my overall utilization on the remaining accounts.

For me, it made much more sense to pay off my open accounts first, as I am primarily interested in increasing my score. I can see where paying off high interest accounts would be a better option for some, while others may choose to pay off all closed accounts first.  I think it depends on what you're trying to accomplish. 

Starting Score: Jan 2012: EQ - 659, TU08 - 670, EX - ???
Current Score:April 2014: EQ - 772, TU08 - 782, EX - 754
Last App:3/21/14

Message 12 of 22
AdPray123
New Contributor

Ok everyone. I just checked my credit report for true credit and most of my accounts are showing balance and credit limit. I guess since it doesn't matter I should do the highest interest rate then work down. Or should I start at smallest balance?

Message 13 of 22
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@AdPray123 wrote:

Ok everyone. I just checked my credit report for true credit and most of my accounts are showing balance and credit limit. I guess since it doesn't matter I should do the highest interest rate then work down. Or should I start at smallest balance?

List the cards, balances and APR please.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 14 of 22
AdPray123
New Contributor

Thanks. I wasn't able to get all the info because one of the sites was down and I'm not home to get the statement.

Closed- Chase- Bal=$526 APR 25.94%

Closed- Chase- Bal= $1036 APR 25.94%

Open- Orchard Bank- Bal=$1086 APR 14.90%

Open- Target- Bal=$242 APR 22.9

Open Macys- Bal= $1332 APR=?

Open- Care Credit Bal= $1011 APR=?

Message 15 of 22
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@AdPray123 wrote:

Thanks. I wasn't able to get all the info because one of the sites was down and I'm not home to get the statement.

Closed- Chase- Bal=$526 APR 25.94%

Closed- Chase- Bal= $1036 APR 25.94%

Open- Orchard Bank- Bal=$1086 APR 14.90%

Open- Target- Bal=$242 APR 22.9

Open Macys- Bal= $1332 APR=?

Open- Care Credit Bal= $1011 APR=?

I'd be PIF those Chase cards ASAP.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 16 of 22
AdPray123
New Contributor

Great. Thank you so much.

Message 17 of 22
oracles
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@pizzadude wrote:

+1 on this, this is what Chase and BofA did way back when I was in a DMP.  The credit limits were still factored into my utilization so it didn't matter which ones I paid off first, open or closed.  I ended up paying down those with the higher APR first and my closed ones were the last to be paid because of that strategy.  

you learn something new everyday, that is why i love coming to these boards. Thanks again pizza for the info. Since this is the case for OP, then definitely pay down your higher APRs first. Definitely saves you money

Message 18 of 22
AdPray123
New Contributor

Thank you everyone!! Pizza is my favorite food and now I have some knowledge pizza. I paid Chase this morning! Whoooo whoooo!! 

Message 19 of 22
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Congrats on paying these cards off !! Those APRs were not good at all.

And from a FICO® perspective you'll want to keep a close eye on your utilization since the Chase cards will be out of the mix once they report paid.
March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.