Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying of CC Debt- Closed Accounts Or Open

tag
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Re: Paying of CC Debt- Closed Accounts Or Open

To add to this discussion, once the balance is zeroed out, the limit for the closed card will no longer count in your utilization.  So if score is important, e.g., if you are preparing for an upcoming applicaiton, and you have greatly reduced the balance on a high APR card, it could make sense to shift your focus to one of your other cards and start paying the minimum on the closed card.  As soon as you pay off that closed card completely, you'll end up increasing your utilization when the limit no longer factors in. 

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 21 of 22
AdPray123
New Contributor

Re: Paying of CC Debt- Closed Accounts Or Open

I sure will!!! I'm wondering should I go ahead and pull my FICO now and again in 3 months? I want to see the difference. Unfortunately the report I pulled a couple months ago was shredded by mistake and I don't recall the exact scores.

Message 22 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.