Did you mean: 

Paying off CC Balances

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Paying off CC Balances

@laz98 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

No itunes downloads or CD buying, I library and rip saves about $10  a month. (really yeah thats 12 CDs a year)

what does "library & rip" mean?  like you're just making cds from music you already have?  i didn't see what you meant about the 12 cds, is that a lot?

I find music and cds I want and get it from my library and then rip it to my hard drive.

"Free" is cheaper then itunes, and I already pay for my library in my tax dollars.

Yes its Quasi Illegal, but in that grey area of illegality.

before I started doing that I would hear a song I liked or find an album had been released and just buy it.

Funnily enough, I will get CDs from the library but do not illegally download.

Message 11 of 18
wollepopolle
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

"Free" is cheaper then itunes, and I already pay for my library in my tax dollars.

Yes its Quasi Illegal, but in that grey area of illegality.

If that is so, I wouldn't advertise it here. Paying for your library in tax dollars is not a valid reason for copying music. I see your point but this isn't a good recommendation. Period.

Message 12 of 18
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Paper routes are often available.  It's a job you can do at off hours to still have your other job.  It's not a lot of money, but it can help.  When I was pressed for cash in highschool, I sold plasma.  I have no idea if they still buy blood plasma, but it was $50 for the first time, then once a week at $30 or something like that. 

Good luck.

ETA:  Is there anyone you know who could lend you the money?  When I was deep in debt and digging out, I borrowed money from a friend at a much more favorable interest rate.  The reason my balances were run up is that I was out of work for a while.  Once I was working again, he loaned me the money.  There are the obvious problems of finding someone who would be willing to lend you the money and risk that you could run the balances up again.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 13 of 18
laz98
Senior Contributor

i don't think it's quasi-illegal, just illegal, but that's your business.  personally, i like to buy my music, & i do spend a lot of money on it.  Smiley Happy

Message 14 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@laz98 wrote:

i don't think it's quasi-illegal, just illegal, but that's your business.  personally, i like to buy my music, & i do spend a lot of money on it.  Smiley Happy

actually the legality was addressed in the NAPSTER hearings.

and the fact that Metallica did not nor does not pursue local library collections was addressed

the "fair use" constraint created the grey area.

Message 15 of 18
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

OP, ditto to everyone else. Do whatever it takes to decrease your expenses and increase your income. I don't know if this was brought up, but if you get a tax refund, you are overpaying...adjust your W-4 and state withholding form if applicable and that'll net you some extra cash. Stop any savings programs. Tap into savings. Do whatever it takes.

On the topic of APRs, your Target APR is on par with everyone else. Mine and DW's is at 24.5% and we were never late or over the limit. Store cards are not know for low APRs.

Message 16 of 18
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

As someone said above, over-the-limit situations are cash-generators. Smiley Sad

Store cards LOVE having consumers carry balances. They all have dreadful APR's.

Once they see you run your balances up, they have absolutely no motivation to drop your APR's. They've got you exactly where they want you. All you can do is be stubborn and come up with the money to pay them off ASAP.

Look at it this way: you can do anything over the short run. Mickey D's always needs competent help on the Saturday-Sunday morning shifts. They try hiring teenagers, bless their hearts, but they wind up doing a lot of replacing. Slash things that you think you have to have, and come up with some extra cash. Babysitting, E-bay/ craigslist sales, paper routes, fast-food window jockeys, you name it. Get flexible.

Live skinny now. It can be done. Good luck!

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 17 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

As someone said above, over-the-limit situations are cash-generators. Smiley Sad

Store cards LOVE having consumers carry balances. They all have dreadful APR's.

Once they see you run your balances up, they have absolutely no motivation to drop your APR's. They've got you exactly where they want you. All you can do is be stubborn and come up with the money to pay them off ASAP.

Look at it this way: you can do anything over the short run. Mickey D's always needs competent help on the Saturday-Sunday morning shifts. They try hiring teenagers, bless their hearts, but they wind up doing a lot of replacing. Slash things that you think you have to have, and come up with some extra cash. Babysitting, E-bay/ craigslist sales, paper routes, fast-food window jockeys, you name it. Get flexible.

Live skinny now. It can be done. Good luck!

And look at it this way: You have a 100% look at how your other half spends/views/values money.

Thats a great and telling representative of what you would be into if you were to marry. 

Valentine's Day is coming, if they still value a floral arrangement and an expensive dinner over fiscal thrift with bill paying in your current circumstance, you know what you will be getting into in the long run.

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.