Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying off Chase Credit Cards

tag
armywifey85
Regular Contributor

Re: Paying off Chase Credit Cards

If you got the money then pay your debt!  Your gonna need good credit, when this economy takes a turn for the worse, which is coming real fast. You will need good credit for a job, and renting a place.

Message 11 of 31
drsmith
Frequent Contributor

@armywifey85 wrote:

when this economy takes a turn for the worse, which is coming real fast.

I wish I had a crystal ball

Starting Score: 703
Current Score: EQ 820 4/11/16
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 12 of 31
JonStur
Established Contributor

I feel that if someone is uneducated and asking a question they don't deserve to be belittled. We all have to start somewhere. In the future they may be hesitant to seek assistance that might actually benefit if they feel they will just be chastised. That being said, CR4, no don't settle, just pay what you owe and I'd you don't want their services any longer cancel them. If as your name implies you are building your credit then now is not the time to stumble.

Starting Score: TU 595 EX 600 EQ 585
Current Score: TU 820 EX 825 EQ 812
Goal Score: 800 Club (Mission Accomplished)

Amex Platinum, Amex BCP $17.5K, 5/3 Sig $10K, Capital One Quicksilver 15K, Walmart 10K, US Bank Cash+ 15K, Sam's Club 10K, Chase Freedom $6K, Discover More $15K, Chase United Club MileagePlus $33K, Costco $6K, CapOne Quicksilver One $7K, Cap One Quicksilver $5K, Amazon $3K, Barclays $12.5K, Home Depot $7.5K, AppleCard $6K
Message 13 of 31
DI
Super Contributor

@JonStur wrote:
I feel that if someone is uneducated and asking a question they don't deserve to be belittled. We all have to start somewhere. In the future they may be hesitant to seek assistance that might actually benefit if they feel they will just be chastised. That being said, CR4, no don't settle, just pay what you owe and I'd you don't want their services any longer cancel them. If as your name implies you are building your credit then now is not the time to stumble.

+1

Message 14 of 31
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Is it worth calling to see if they would settle and close out my cards for less than the 10k I owe?

NO!.

Message 15 of 31
DI
Super Contributor

@Wolf3 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Is it worth calling to see if they would settle and close out my cards for less than the 10k I owe?

NO!.

Why not, Wolf3?  They can only say  yes or no. 

Message 16 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I have 2 Chase Credit Cards that have a combined $10,000 balance on them.  I am getting a big bonus and was wondering how much would it take to pay them off? Do you think I could settle with Chase for less than the 10k?  Should I call the back door #?

Thanks.

Hi CreditRepair4, and welcome to the FICO Forums! Congratulations on your bonus. That's always a welcome addition! Smiley Happy

Are your Chase accounts in good standing currently? Are they open, or closed? Are you current on  your other obligations? Is your employment situation stable (or as stable as any job is these days)?

Settling a debt for less than the full amount owed would, indeed, be a major blow to your credit. It'd hurt as much as a charge-off would. And, it would make it very difficult for you to obtain new credit for quite a while. Unless you're currently delinquent, on a reduced payment plan, the card is already closed, with lates, etc..., lenders aren't likely to accept less than the full payment due. They already know you can pay, so they'll hold you to that obligation. If you can pay, you should do so in full. With a steady income (job), there are much more effective, and less harmful ways of killing debt, than settling.

Message 17 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

CreditRepair4,

Welcome!

In addition, to LilMirth's questions, can you also tell us what the CL and balance is on each Chase card, and what you're anticipating your bonus to be.

And congrats on that bonus - very wise to use it paying down debt!

Message 18 of 31
cdtotten
Established Contributor

I'm quite shocked to see members of this community encouraging the OP to not pay a legitimate debt. He ran up credit card debt, and now wants to settle for less because he owes a lot... it does not make sense to encourage this behavior.

Starting Score: 627 EQ, 621 TU - 11/15/08
Current Score: 778 EQ, 781 TU, 778 EXP 07/20/12 Lender Pull
Goal Score: 800 EQ & TU

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 19 of 31
DI
Super Contributor

@cdtotten wrote:

I'm quite shocked to see members of this community encouraging the OP to not pay a legitimate debt. He ran up credit card debt, and now wants to settle for less because he owes a lot... it does not make sense to encourage this behavior.

What are you reading?  I don't see anyone encouraging the OP to not pay a legitimate debt. 

Message 20 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.