Regular Contributor
armywifey85

Re: Paying off Chase Credit Cards

[ Edited ]

If you got the money then pay your debt!  Your gonna need good credit, when this economy takes a turn for the worse, which is coming real fast. You will need good credit for a job, and renting a place.

Frequent Contributor
drsmith

armywifey85 wrote:

when this economy takes a turn for the worse, which is coming real fast.

I wish I had a crystal ball

Starting Score: 703
Current Score: EQ 743 2/9/12 TU 734 2/11/12
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Established Contributor
JonStur

I feel that if someone is uneducated and asking a question they don't deserve to be belittled. We all have to start somewhere. In the future they may be hesitant to seek assistance that might actually benefit if they feel they will just be chastised. That being said, CR4, no don't settle, just pay what you owe and I'd you don't want their services any longer cancel them. If as your name implies you are building your credit then now is not the time to stumble.

Starting Score: TU 686 EX 641 EQ 690
Current Score: TU 779 EX 767 EQ 740
Goal Score: 800 Club

BCE $12.5K, 5/3 Sig $10K, Wally Discover 10K, Cash+ $9K Sam's Discover 10K, Freedom $6K, Zales $5.5K, More $5K, Cap one $5K, Barclay 2.5K, Household Plat $1.5K, Household Gold $1.5K, Credit One $1K, First Premier Plat $.675K First Premier Gold $.65K
Super Contributor
DI

JonStur wrote:
I feel that if someone is uneducated and asking a question they don't deserve to be belittled. We all have to start somewhere. In the future they may be hesitant to seek assistance that might actually benefit if they feel they will just be chastised. That being said, CR4, no don't settle, just pay what you owe and I'd you don't want their services any longer cancel them. If as your name implies you are building your credit then now is not the time to stumble.

+1

Senior Contributor
Wolf3

CreditRepair4 wrote:

Is it worth calling to see if they would settle and close out my cards for less than the 10k I owe?

NO!.

Super Contributor
DI

Wolf3 wrote:

CreditRepair4 wrote:

Is it worth calling to see if they would settle and close out my cards for less than the 10k I owe?

NO!.

Why not, Wolf3?  They can only say  yes or no. 

Moderator Emerita
LilMirth

CreditRepair4 wrote:

I have 2 Chase Credit Cards that have a combined $10,000 balance on them.  I am getting a big bonus and was wondering how much would it take to pay them off? Do you think I could settle with Chase for less than the 10k?  Should I call the back door #?

Thanks.

Hi CreditRepair4, and welcome to the FICO Forums! Congratulations on your bonus. That's always a welcome addition! :smileyhappy:

Are your Chase accounts in good standing currently? Are they open, or closed? Are you current on  your other obligations? Is your employment situation stable (or as stable as any job is these days)?

Settling a debt for less than the full amount owed would, indeed, be a major blow to your credit. It'd hurt as much as a charge-off would. And, it would make it very difficult for you to obtain new credit for quite a while. Unless you're currently delinquent, on a reduced payment plan, the card is already closed, with lates, etc..., lenders aren't likely to accept less than the full payment due. They already know you can pay, so they'll hold you to that obligation. If you can pay, you should do so in full. With a steady income (job), there are much more effective, and less harmful ways of killing debt, than settling.

-------------------------------------------

Friendly, Supportive & Respectful

Understanding Your FICO Score  |  Credit Scoring 101  |  Common Abbreviations  |  FTC: FCRA Links  |  FTC: FDCPA Links  |  Opt-Out  |  State Resources

"However gradual may be the growth of confidence, that of credit requires still more time to arrive at maturity” ~ Benjamin Disraeli

Moderator Emeritus
beamMEup

CreditRepair4,

Welcome!

In addition, to LilMirth's questions, can you also tell us what the CL and balance is on each Chase card, and what you're anticipating your bonus to be.

And congrats on that bonus - very wise to use it paying down debt!

Just puttin' syrup on something, don't make it pancakes.
Established Contributor
cdtotten

I'm quite shocked to see members of this community encouraging the OP to not pay a legitimate debt. He ran up credit card debt, and now wants to settle for less because he owes a lot... it does not make sense to encourage this behavior.

Starting Score: 627 EQ, 621 TU - 11/15/08
Current Score: 778 EQ, 781 TU, 778 EXP 07/20/12 Lender Pull
Goal Score: 800 EQ & TU

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Super Contributor
DI

cdtotten wrote:

I'm quite shocked to see members of this community encouraging the OP to not pay a legitimate debt. He ran up credit card debt, and now wants to settle for less because he owes a lot... it does not make sense to encourage this behavior.

What are you reading?  I don't see anyone encouraging the OP to not pay a legitimate debt. 

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+