cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying off Credit Cards and score question.....

tag
eparker
Frequent Contributor

Paying off Credit Cards and score question.....

I have 5 active credit cards, all in good standing.  Credit limits are not very large, $800, $600, $500, $1500, and $2400.  My question is, I will be able to pay off four of them very quickly. 

What kind of score increase could I expect after paying off 4 of 5 cards.  JUST CURIOUS......

Thanks.....

Starting Score: Mid 500's
EQ-701 TU-693 EXP-698
Goal Score:750+

NavChek $15,000/NFCU nRewards Visa $12,000/American Express Rewards Gold NPSL/USAA Rewards World Mastercard $7000/USAA Visa Platinum $7000/Barclay $3900/Credit Union Visa $5000/Jareds $7600/BofA Visa $4000/USAA MC $1500/Walmart $1200//Amazon $1000/Discover Card $750/Cap1 $2250.

the FICO Fitness Challenge
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Paying off Credit Cards and score question.....

What's your current util on each card, and your current total util?

And what other negatives do you have going on?

Is high util currently a negative on your FICO reports, and if so, how high up the list is it?

If the only thing negative that someone has on a report is high util, paying it down/ off can generate a huge jump.

If someone has a BK and a new 120-day late and 2 years of history and whatever other negatives can be thrown in there, high util might not be a very significant scoring factor, so reducing it would help, but not in a spectacular way.

Paying down 90% util is huge. Paying down 30% is nice, but won't get the big jumps as paying down 90%.

etc Smiley Happy

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 3
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Paying off Credit Cards and score question.....

Locking this thread and redirecting to an earlier and identical post on Understanding FICO Scoring, to which you have received similar replies.

Please do not cross-post among multiple boards.  Thank you.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/Question-about-Credit-cards-and-Score/m-p...

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.