Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying off a Credit Card vs Making Payments

tag
creditconcept
Regular Contributor

Paying off a Credit Card vs Making Payments

What would you all recommend? I have a $2,203.76 balance on my Quicksilver. I have $2100 in my checking right now that I've accumulated from my paychecks.
My question: I'm sort of leaning towards putting that money in my savings, and making $500/mo payments on this card ( I calculated the accumulated interest at $169 over 4.5 months) I want to pay in full, but I'm concerned that I won't have the discipline to save 2100 over the same time period if I was to pif.
What would you all recommend (Util is 13.5% so I'm not overly concerned about that)
Thanks..!!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Paying off a Credit Card vs Making Payments

@creditconcept wrote:
What would you all recommend? I have a $2,203.76 balance on my Quicksilver. I have $2100 in my checking right now that I've accumulated from my paychecks.
My question: I'm sort of leaning towards putting that money in my savings, and making $500/mo payments on this card ( I calculated the accumulated interest at $169 over 4.5 months) I want to pay in full, but I'm concerned that I won't have the discipline to save 2100 over the same time period if I was to pif.
What would you all recommend (Util is 13.5% so I'm not overly concerned about that)
Thanks..!!

So let me get this straight. The card has what I assume to be at least 22.99% APR and you're not paying it off when you have the resources to do so?

Edit: I really don't mean for it to sound judgemental or anything, I am just curious why you wouldn't pay it off or at least shorten your timeframe for paying it off.

Message 2 of 6
creditconcept
Regular Contributor

Sounds so silly when you say it like that,
I will reconsider....!

Message 3 of 6
NRB525
Super Contributor

OP what other cards do you have? nothing with a 0% BT offer?

At 22%, yeah that's painful to have to pay interest. But, the amount is relatively small, so you could start paying heavily. See what turns up for other cards?

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 4 of 6
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@creditconcept wrote:

You definitely want liquid cash reserves but consider the APR on the card versus the rate on your savings.  If you don't have the discipline then work on it.  Budget and stick to it or you'll always have problems.

Message 5 of 6
onstar
Established Contributor

@takeshi74 wrote:

You definitely want liquid cash reserves but consider the APR on the card versus the rate on your savings.  If you don't have the discipline then work on it.  Budget and stick to it or you'll always have problems.

Yes and yes.

They say that you should have liquid savings of 3 months salary. For too many people, this is difficult or nearly impossible. Personally, I think everyone should strive to have at least 1 month salary in liquid savings. Even if it means carrying a balance. I am almost there (savings of 1 month salary). And I carry a small balance which I will pay off before the 0% promo ends.

What do I think the OP should do?

(1) If possible, get Slate and BT.

(2) If not able to get Slate, then pay $1300 now and spread the rest over the next 5 months. By paying $1300, you get your balance down below $1000. It's a psychological barrier, and it should help you feel somewhat accomplished. That will make it easier to continue this debt paying journey.

(3) Most importantly, create a budget. And stick to it. This is probably the hardest thing to do.

BK DC 4/9/2018
FICO 08 (4/9/2018): EQ 647 EX 609 TU 620
FICO 08 (10/16/2020): EQ 676 EX 659 TU 653
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.