cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying off a balance with 0% APR

tag
aross88

Paying off a balance with 0% APR

Need some advice.  I have a Best Buy credit card and made a large purchase using their 18 month 0% program.  I have been making payments that correspond to the 18 month timeframe so that it will be fully paid in 18 months.  The purchase was just under 50% of the cards limit.  I'm thinking about applying for a mortgage.  I don't have any other credit card debt.  Should I just go ahead and pay this off or is OK to keep paying it at the 0% rate for the next year or so?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
user5387
Valued Contributor

Re: Paying off a balance with 0% APR

Reducing the utilization may help your scores, and only you can say how important this is, relative to qualifying for a mortgage and getting the best rates.

A mortgage involves a lot of money over a long time frame, and it seems to me that there's quite a bit of leverage in optimizing scores beforehand.

What is your overall utilization, and how many cards do you have?

Message 2 of 7
aross88

Including store cards, 9.  Overall utilization is 2%.

Message 3 of 7
Bluegoldkeys
Valued Member

Your utilization is wonderful. I say drop it down to 1% and keep your payments going. Just make sure you don't have any lates.

Amex EX FICO: 744 GE TU FICO: 716 Gardening:
Amex Everyday 5.5k | Amex BCE 2k | Citi DP 6k | Amazon Rewards 2.5k | Walmart DC 1.2k | Best Buy Rewards 4k | Cap1 QSone 1k | NYMCU .5k
Message 4 of 7
armbenderc
Valued Contributor

@aross88 wrote:

Need some advice.  I have a Best Buy credit card and made a large purchase using their 18 month 0% program.  I have been making payments that correspond to the 18 month timeframe so that it will be fully paid in 18 months.  The purchase was just under 50% of the cards limit.  I'm thinking about applying for a mortgage.  I don't have any other credit card debt.  Should I just go ahead and pay this off or is OK to keep paying it at the 0% rate for the next year or so?

I would stay where you at. As long as your util is 1-3% you are fine. Keep it on one card only. If you PIF, your score will drop because of the 0% UTIL.

2013 Approvals: Discover IT - 3/1, Amex BCE - 3/4, CSP - 5/4, Barclay Ring - 6/12, BoA Privileges Cash - 6/27, Citi TY Preferred - 8/6, OCCU Duck - 11/4, USBank (Cash+) - 11/22, Wells Fargo - 12/21, Nordstrom - 12/29

12/19/2013, $100k+ Available Credit. Total Util: 0-1%
Message 5 of 7
user5387
Valued Contributor

What I'd suggest is being sensitive to score thresholds for mortgages.

For example, if a person is at 695, and needs to get to 700, and they have one card with 50% utilization, then it may be time to pay that card down to 5%.

If there's no issue of being borderline, then I wouldn't worry so much about it.

FICO scoring considers both overall utilization and utilization of individual cards.

Message 6 of 7
DrZoidberg
Established Contributor

I'd pay a little bit down, there is no reason to pay it off since you already have a good utilization. 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.