Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying off a late (now closed) Target Card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Paying off a late (now closed) Target Card

I'm comfortable where I am currently... my domestic partner not so much.

Although we've been together a while, only now does the comfort level reach a point where we can disclose everything to each other, finances included.

I know they've been very irresponsible, but I was not prepared for what I found out (and am still discovering).

Their background:

Divorced, but while married, cosigned on 2 vehicles and a mortgage.  Opened three retail store credit cards (2 GE MoneyBank) 

After the divorce: Ex defaulted on home and foreclosed.  Several late payments on 1 vehicle before selling.  All 3 cards incurred late payments, missed payments, over limit penalties and eventually resulted in credit line being closed*

*(I'm aware an account is only officially closed after it is paid off)

Now:

Have convinced them to give me control of their accounts and making progress.

2 cards completely paid off due to tax refund and budgeting!

The Target card remains though - at 30% APR and wants $300 minimum payments for a 4000 balance.

I've not encountered this before with these circumstances, and don't know how to negotiate with the card's bank. They rightfully have an interest in the amount given the accountholder’s behavior and agreement to the terms, but this is just unreasonable.  Minimum payment is possible, but interferes with day to day finances too much and would take 17 years to pay off at current APR.  The payments alone raise the Income to debt ratio to 50% up from 30.

What would be the best way to start resolving this?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Paying off a late (now closed) Target Card

30% isn't unreasonable for Target, especially for a default rate. Most everyone's APR, if I had to guess, would be in the mid-20s. They are not known for low interest. I just closed my Target because the $200 CL wasn't doing anything for me and my rate was 24.5% and I always paid on time and most always PIF. DW also has a Target CC and her rate is the same.

I'd rebudget again and hammer it out. And it won't hurt to try to call to get a lower rate. If this TL is already a CO, maybe you can settle too.

Now I did some math on the TL. Paying $300/mo at 30% on a balance of $4000 will only take you 17 months to payoff...not 17 years. You would have paid $5100, if I did my math right, in interest and principal. $300/mo for 17 years would be $61,200!!

Message 2 of 3
DI
Super Contributor

Re: Paying off a late (now closed) Target Card

@llecs wrote:

30% isn't unreasonable for Target, especially for a default rate. Most everyone's APR, if I had to guess, would be in the mid-20s. They are not known for low interest. I just closed my Target because the $200 CL wasn't doing anything for me and my rate was 24.5% and I always paid on time and most always PIF. DW also has a Target CC and her rate is the same.

I'd rebudget again and hammer it out. And it won't hurt to try to call to get a lower rate. If this TL is already a CO, maybe you can settle too.

Now I did some math on the TL. Paying $300/mo at 30% on a balance of $4000 will only take you 17 months to payoff...not 17 years. You would have paid $5100, if I did my math right, in interest and principal. $300/mo for 17 years would be $61,200!!

It sure isn't!  They have me at 23.24 APR. I've been a cardholder with them since 10/2000 and never been late.   Target is one card a person should never carry a monthly balance on. 

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.