Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying off the monthly balance

tag
artikk
Visitor

Paying off the monthly balance

Hi, I have a question about how to pay off the balance on credit cards for long term.

For 1 or more credit cards

Is it better in the long term (for the credit score) to pay off the transaction as soon as it posts on the account or wait until after the statement date? I don't care about the short term. I'm worried that if I pay the balance too soon and the balance of 0 is reported every time, one would think the credit line isn't being used at all.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: Paying off the monthly balance

@artikk wrote:

Hi, I have a question about how to pay off the balance on credit cards for long term.

For 1 or more credit cards

Is it better in the long term (for the credit score) to pay off the transaction as soon as it posts on the account or wait until after the statement date? I don't care about the short term. I'm worried that if I pay the balance too soon and the balance of 0 is reported every time, one would think the credit line isn't being used at all.

you can just let the balance post and pay after statement cuts.

there's no need to worry about utilization ratio if you are not applying for any new credit.

just pay it off and let them report as 0 when you are planning to apply for something.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 2 of 3
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Paying off the monthly balance

Right, and  just to add this is short and long term, utilization has no history as far as score is concerned.  So if you always pay on the due date, and then today pay before the statement cuts, you get the same score as if you always paid before the due date.  And, in the former case, you get to keep your money for longer!

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.