Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying rent/mortgage with credit card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Paying rent/mortgage with credit card?

Hey there, FICO’ers!

So I am fixing to get an apartment of my own coming up and they are wanting my form of payment to be a money order or a cashiers check only with no exceptions… Well that’s a problem because I’d like to use my credit card for the rewards.

Upon recently, I have been reading from some users that you could buy a prepaid debit gift card with your credit card and then go to a Publix or Walmart and get a money order with it. I decided to test it out and go on the hunt the other day but there was only one problem— they required you to buy them with cash. I went to 7/Eleven and they all said cash was required. Publix said you could only buy one of those $100 prepaid ones that have the $5.95 activation fee and anything afterwards their system won’t allow it due to CC fraud.

I read that you could use a Square Reader (that has a 2.75% fee), but many people were commenting how Square shut down their account because they violated the Terms and Conditions and were caught because their names on their credit cards matched the checking account name.

I don’t mind paying the activation or percentage fees on the prepaid cards or service, but won’t take out a cash advance because that’s asking to get nailed by interest fees.

So my question is… How in the heck can I pay my rent with my credit card if the following above are impossible? Or am I not doing this right? How do you guys pay your mortgage, rent, auto loans, etc with your credit card?
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Paying rent/mortgage with credit card?

Personally, I don't pay any of those with credit cards.  Because if you do the math, the fees charged are not worth it.  Also, those methods you mentioned have long since been closed due to fraud and forget square.  You will get shutdown.

But some people use Chargesmart with is now TIO.  So you can look into them and see if it works for you.

Message 2 of 10
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Hey there, FICO’ers!

So I am fixing to get an apartment of my own coming up and they are wanting my form of payment to be a money order or a cashiers check only with no exceptions… Well that’s a problem because I’d like to use my credit card for the rewards.

Upon recently, I have been reading from some users that you could buy a prepaid debit gift card with your credit card and then go to a Publix or Walmart and get a money order with it. I decided to test it out and go on the hunt the other day but there was only one problem— they required you to buy them with cash. I went to 7/Eleven and they all said cash was required. Publix said you could only buy one of those $100 prepaid ones that have the $5.95 activation fee and anything afterwards their system won’t allow it due to CC fraud.

I read that you could use a Square Reader (that has a 2.75% fee), but many people were commenting how Square shut down their account because they violated the Terms and Conditions and were caught because their names on their credit cards matched the checking account name.

I don’t mind paying the activation or percentage fees on the prepaid cards or service, but won’t take out a cash advance because that’s asking to get nailed by interest fees.

So my question is… How in the heck can I pay my rent with my credit card if the following above are impossible? Or am I not doing this right? How do you guys pay your mortgage, rent, auto loans, etc with your credit card?

I've never heard of paying rent with a money order or cashiers check. Those are basically forms of cash.

If it was me, I would be extremely suspicious of such a request. What are they hiding, that would cause a renter to immediately cancel a credit card payment or stop a check? Or, what kind of shady people live in the area that such extreme methods of payment would be considerd necessary or even acceptable?

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 3 of 10
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

As stated above there are many services that you can pay rent with a CC they range from 1.5% fee to 2.5%ish fee which kinda negates the purpose unless you are trying to meet spend. 

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Other than ChargeSmart (I can't use for a money order; my bank for my auto loan isn't even on there)...

Basically what I am trying to ask is what do I need to do or what can I use (regardless if there are fees) to get money from my credit card TO MY BANK ACCOUNT?
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I only use a CC to pay rent when I am trying to meet the spending bonus. The fees charged for using a CC to pay rent are high.

Even if my rental company accepted prepaid visa or money order I would not do since I do not want to get flagged for manufactured spending. But they don't. 

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

This was an interesting read, I had never thought of using my credit card for any of those things.

For me it would be nice to be able to pay off my credit card bills with other cards, in order to maximize my spending on all cards.

The only account I have that can be paid via credit card is fingerhut, which is nice, because it helps me run more spend through my capital one card, that I am not using much now.

Hope you find the help you want OP! 

Message 7 of 10
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Other than ChargeSmart (I can't use for a money order; my bank for my auto loan isn't even on there)...

Basically what I am trying to ask is what do I need to do or what can I use (regardless if there are fees) to get money from my credit card TO MY BANK ACCOUNT?

There are ways, but generally manufactured spending cannot be discussed here.   Search for it, but make sure you are aware of the potential downsides (though if you are doing it just for rent, probably not big enough to get flagged)

Message 8 of 10
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Themanwhocan wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Hey there, FICO’ers!

I've never heard of paying rent with a money order or cashiers check. Those are basically forms of cash.

If it was me, I would be extremely suspicious of such a request. What are they hiding, that would cause a renter to immediately cancel a credit card payment or stop a check? Or, what kind of shady people live in the area that such extreme methods of payment would be considerd necessary or even acceptable?

I'm familiar with landlords requesting certified funds, but usually its after there's been an issue with a personal check.  Most small landlords don't take credit cards at all, and the larger ones (like apartment complexes) charge processing fees that are greater than any cash rewards, so unless there's a minimum spend to meet it rarely makes sense.

I'll also add that if two people are roommates many times it's easier to pay with certified funds, since in most states it's quite problematic if one roommate's check clears and the other bounces... technically this constitutes 'acceptance of partial payment' and that entire month wouldn't "count" if an eviction was necessary (notably, several places I have lived would only accept two checks if both were certified funds).  Of course another solution to this would be for one roommate to pay the other, then give one check to the landlord, but I'm just mentioning it here as a possible reason certified funds would be necessary for a rental.  Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 10
MrsCHX
Valued Contributor

@Themanwhocan wrote:

Really!?! I often pay by money order. And last month did a cashiers check. I HATE the delay for a check to clear. It annoys me when he doesn't deposit the rent check for a week (sometimes more!) so I control my cash by using a money order. Then it's DONE.

And the last place we lived I wrote a check twice, but otherwise the entire 3 years we lived there I paid them every month in cash. 

Anyway...to the OP, I think some large complexes have online payment systems and would probably easily absorb the cc fees. I would imagine a private landlord would not want to pay surcharge on cc swipes. 

NFCU: $25,000; PenFed Power Cash Rewards: $3,500; PenFed Gold: $2,500; Capital One: $2,300; Nordstrom Visa: $2,000; Credit One: $1,250
Amazon: 800; Kohls: $1,500
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.