cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying rent to meet minimum spend...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Paying rent to meet minimum spend...

You're not allowed to surcharge a payment in every state.

Where I live, New York, surcharging isn't allowed, unless you're doing the processing work as a business (such as Plastiq or Western Union).

Message 31 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP I have the CSP as well and did not have a problem meeting the minimum spend requirement. Although the option of paying my rent was off the table, I still managed to earn the points. There seem to be a lot of people using their cc to pay their rent, are there any folks that are paying their mortgage that way? I'm not sure that's possible but I figure I would ask. 

Message 32 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would think the same avenues could be used to pay a mortgage that can be used to pay rent.  From my understanding the associated fees will cancel out or exceed any potential rewards, so it's not really beneficial unless of course you're looking to hit a spend amount.

Message 33 of 37
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I would think the same avenues could be used to pay a mortgage that can be used to pay rent.  From my understanding the associated fees will cancel out or exceed any potential rewards, so it's not really beneficial unless of course you're looking to hit a spend amount.

Yes, many of the services allow payment to mortgage lenders.   As you say, fees normally make this not worth while, but if you have a high enough redemption rate for miles/points, it may still be worthwhile.   

Some people looking into this discover MS techniques (since the monthly mortgage is probably the biggest bill that can't "naturally" be paid with a cc)

Message 34 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

I suppose, strictly speaking, paying your mortgage with a CC would be a balance transfer.......

Message 35 of 37
Gmood1
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I suppose, strictly speaking, paying your mortgage with a CC would be a balance transfer.......

Nope it's not, I've done it several times with different cards. It's a purchase like any other using Plastiq.

Message 36 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Scupra wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@beautifulblaquepearl wrote:
Be careful. Some folks have reported certain transactions being coded like cash which incur cash advance fees.

Chase doesn't do this or allow this..  Actually called the JPM aka ritz # and was worried about something being coded as a cash advance and they stated only way that would happen is going to an ATM and withdrawling cash as was going to pay 1 month rent to make my 10k on ritz for year to hold gold status.

Hmm.. I made a payment with my CSP on my NMAC auto loan, was coded as cash advance.

There was another thread which stated an AU had used a Chase (I think) card to pay a utility bill. It, too, was treated like a cash advance. I couldn't find the thread CC. However, I'm glad most folks have not had this issue. 

Message 37 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.