Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying rent with cash back card...

tag
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Paying rent with cash back card...

I'm still stunned at the cost of living in ND! I'm in So Cal and I thought rent here was high.
Message 11 of 20
unc0mm0n1
Established Contributor

@shols44 wrote:

@j_casteel wrote:

I'm going to have to be relocating for work soon, and a mortgage fell through due to DTI, new accounts, etc. with NFCU and they basically said sell stuff and let things age then try back in 6-12 months. That's fine, but now we're going to have to rent, and the area we're renting is ridiculously expensive. They don't take checks due to the massive amount of people from out of state and just overall bad checks being written i guess. So my only options are cash, cashiers check, money order, or credit card. The most convienent way would just be going to the office and swiping my card. However, they charge a 1.5% swipe fee (they said that's what they get charged). I'm currently earning 1.5% cash back on my NFCU cashRewards card so I would basically break even by doing that and then earn cash back by everything else I use it for. Do you think it would be fine to do that? I think it is an alright plan, but like to hear what you all think. BTW, I'm relocating to Williston, ND and getting a "discount" on a 3bd 2bth apartment with private garage for $2,700 per month plus electric and cable/internet.

thanks,

j_casteel

Finally, I can say I know someone in ND! (sort of)-LOL. Even though I am still beefing on your mad NFCU soft only CLIs, I have a solution for you. 

PC to the flagship card no HP involved. You will get 2pts/$1. With rent only you will earn 64,800pts annually. Redeem that for a cool $450. With your current spending though, you can redeem 100K points for $750-Nice profit!

Are you sure about that return rate. If I'm not mistaken NFCU gives you 1500 cashback for 100K points. 

Last App March 23, 2015. Gardening until November 25, 2015
Current Score: 766 EX 734 EQ 780 TU 6/30/2015Starting Score/Goal Score: 580s/780s across the board
Message 12 of 20
GuyInFlorida
Valued Member

I think I read something about ND and oil/natural gas exploration was causing the rents to skyrocket in small towns. Keep in mind, I pay what you pay... But I'm in a highrise in downtown Miami with a view of Biscayne Bay. Gives you some perspective on the prices in North Dakota, eh?

Will they take American Express? I think you'd rack up some nice points on a PRG Gold card...

Message 13 of 20
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

Yeah, the oil boom in the Bakken Shale is causing everything to skyrocket. My company is a large NG and NGL processing and midstream company that moves all the product up there. So once all the drill rigs and E&P companies move on we'll still be there for long-term. I currently work in Tulsa, OK but they are needing the help up there and the pay and bonuses are right so we're willing to relocate to Williston. There is no beautiful views up there, but there is money to be made and the city is developing more and more each day. Hunting and fishing is really good so that's a plus. Housing is there just gotta be prepared to pay for it.

Guess I'll give NFCU a call and ask about PC'ing my cashRewards to a Flagship. I could PC my Platinum but it's too low of a CL. I may do it sometime anyway since it has no rewards or anything.

Learning from my past and rebuilding..

BK discharged 1/10/17
scores: EQ 659 | TU 630 | EX 659

QS 3.8K | WF 500 | Cabela's 3k | ACU 500 |

Message 14 of 20
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

You guys think I could PC my Platinum MC to the Flagship with no HP and get an increase in CL, or would that be asking for too much?

BK discharged 1/10/17

Message 15 of 20
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@09Lexie wrote:
I'm still stunned at the cost of living in ND! I'm in So Cal and I thought rent here was high.

Good grief, that rent is nearly identical to the 600K mortgage at 4% I'm likely stuck with in S. Cal next year.

        
Message 16 of 20
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

Good grief, that rent is nearly identical to the 600K mortgage at 4% I'm likely stuck with in S. Cal next year.

Thanks for reminding me....i appreciate everyone reminding me how expensive it is. Smiley Frustrated

BK discharged 1/10/17

Message 17 of 20
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

seriously though, it does suck how ridiculous the renting/housing is in the area, but it is what it is. The plan is to get into a house, which will be cheaper, within a year. Renting is way way pricey and buying is only regular pricey.

BK discharged 1/10/17

Message 18 of 20
flyingace
Valued Member

@j_casteel wrote:

seriously though, it does suck how ridiculous the renting/housing is in the area, but it is what it is. The plan is to get into a house, which will be cheaper, within a year. Renting is way way pricey and buying is only regular pricey.

Well, best of luck in the home buying process later this year!

In my Snoopy holder: NFCU Flagship Sig Visa-- $11K | Chase Freedom -- $2500 | AMEX BCE -- $2000 | Amazon Visa -- $2000 | Discover It $1500| Old Navy Visa -- $1000 | Target Red Card -- $300

TU (Disc Pull 4/29/13) -- 752 | AmexEQ (6/13/13) -- 728 | AmexEXP-- 737 | AmexTU-- 737 (5/28/13)
Goals: 740 EQ/EXP/TU
Gardening until 12/3/13 -- or longer
Message 19 of 20
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

@flyingace wrote:

@j_casteel wrote:

Well, best of luck in the home buying process later this year!

thank you....i'll let you all know how the PC to Flagship goes

BK discharged 1/10/17

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.