Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying rent with credit card

tag
kkapdolee
Frequent Contributor

Paying rent with credit card

Does paying rent with credit card count as general purchase (for sign up bonus purpose like first x dollar spent gets y dollars back) or does it count as cash advance?

[10%+] Internet, Cable, Cell phone
[5%] Gas, Grocery, Amazon, Airline tickets, Drug Stores, Dept. Stores, Target, MyHabit
[3%] Restaurants
[2%] Everything Else
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
the_jan_b
Established Contributor

Re: Paying rent with credit card

@kkapdolee wrote:

Does paying rent with credit card count as general purchase (for sign up bonus purpose like first x dollar spent gets y dollars back) or does it count as cash advance?

I believe it would depend on the card issuer; but I could be wrong.  I used to pay my rent with a cc, but the leasing office of my apartment complex stopped accepting cc pymnts.  Not sure why, though...it was very convenient for me.

Enjoying your freedom? Thank a servicemember and their family!

In the garden since 26 Jun 14...

I am digitaldiva's alter-ego

Message 2 of 10
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@digitaldiva wrote:

@kkapdolee wrote:

I believe it would depend on the card issuer; but I could be wrong.  I used to pay my rent with a cc, but the leasing office of my apartment complex stopped accepting cc pymnts.  Not sure why, though...it was very convenient for me.

Generally, it shouldn't be an issue at all, IF credit card payments are accepted.  It's really no different from purchasing stuff at a supermarket.  You aren't getting cash equivalents, you are paying for a service/product.

However, many places won't accept them because of the transaction fees they have to pay (which is probably why the leasing office stopped!)

Message 3 of 10
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

It counts as a regular charge not cash advance. I have been paying this way for the last few years.
Message 4 of 10
brikays
Regular Contributor

@B335is wrote:
It counts as a regular charge not cash advance. I have been paying this way for the last few years.

+ 1

~ Hover over cards to view limits ~

Message 5 of 10
enharu
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@digitaldiva wrote:

@kkapdolee wrote:

Generally, it shouldn't be an issue at all, IF credit card payments are accepted.  It's really no different from purchasing stuff at a supermarket.  You aren't getting cash equivalents, you are paying for a service/product.

However, many places won't accept them because of the transaction fees they have to pay (which is probably why the leasing office stopped!)

+1. Most of the time it's a non-issue, even if you're using services such as williampaid.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 6 of 10
anaheimskip

It's a regular purchase and you can earn rewards. But, the apt complex may charge a fee. Mine (the credit card processor actually charges about $150 to pay by card.
Message 7 of 10
bigbang91
Established Contributor

Mine charged a fee and count the payment as regular purchase. A 15$ fee but it helps me earn 36k miles per year so I'm ok with it!

Message 8 of 10
Peter1142
Established Contributor

How about paying federal taxes with a credit card? A quick google search reveals a lot of options most being high fees.

Message 9 of 10
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Yes, paying these with a credit card is going to have a relatively high fee.  Debit cards are usually much cheaper, but for most, don't have the rewards.

So the simplest thing to do is to do some manufactured spend, and use the money in your bank account to pay the tax.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.