New Visitor
Chuckg16

Paying your rent with a Credit Card, Good or Bad?

Has anybody done this before?

I could have sworn Ive read someone that banks dont like when you do this. Does anyone know if this is true?

If I do pay my rent with my credit card I will get points on it right? (II have the Citi Forward)

Thanks for your input guys. 

Established Member
Hotcakes

Re: Paying your rent with a Credit Card, Good or Bad?

I've done it in a pinch. I believe the prop managers charged me a couple percentage points for the luxury so any benefit received was a wash. Not sure if my bank liked it or not. I assume they didn't care when I paid the balance off at the end of the month.
Valued Contributor
trumpet-205

Sure, some landlords accept credit card as a payment, and you do earn rewards for those payments.

Be aware however, that some landlords will have you pay the interchange/discount fee instead, making any rewards earned negated.

In My Wallet:
Citi Forward (12/2010) | Citi Dividend (05/2011) | Chase Freedom (11/2011) | GECRB/PayPal (05/2012)
Discover it (07/2012) | AMEX BCP (09/2012) | TD/Target REDCard (10/2012) | Chase Ink Classic (11/2012)
BofA BBR (04/2013) | FNBO/Overstock.com (02/2014) | Barclaycard Arrival (04/2014) | FIA/Fidelity AMEX (04/2014)
Valued Member
Goalof800

The company I rent my apartment from charges a 3% convenience fee for paying via credit card. As this negates any rewards I would recieve, I send them a check instead. If there were no fee, I wouldn't hesitate to charge my rent to a card (although AMEX would most likely FR me).

AMEX Zync (NPSL) | AMEX SPG ($5,600) | BoA Cash Rewards ($5,000) | WF Visa ($5,000)
Established Contributor
JonStur

I would do it for the rewards but I would get charged a $35.00 fee so that would negate them...

Starting Score: TU 686 EX 641 EQ 690
Current Score: TU 779 EX 767 EQ 740
Goal Score: 800 Club

BCE $12.5K, 5/3 Sig $10K, Wally Discover 10K, Cash+ $9K Sam's Discover 10K, Freedom $6K, Zales $5.5K, More $5K, Cap one $5K, Barclay 2.5K, Household Plat $1.5K, Household Gold $1.5K, Credit One $1K, First Premier Plat $.675K First Premier Gold $.65K
Valued Contributor
GregB

CC Merchants are bound by their merchant agreement. I don't know of any that allow:

- an additional fee to be charged for the use of a CC

- a discount for cash/check instead of CC

- a minimum charge

Some entities such as Sales Tax and Property Tax collectors have special deals with a third party processor that charges a fee to process the transaction.

Established Contributor
ChesterPDexter

I do it every month with my crappy Merrick card.  The card gets no use other than charging rent and paying it off each month.

The credit card company does not charge a fee, but the rent payment company does; in my case it's $29.95.  I do this because I was able to defer the rent for a month (over and over) and yes, pay $29.95 over and over... it still has not added up to the amount I'd have to pay for rent for that month that I originally deferred.  Yes, I know that originally I will have paid enough in $29.95 fees that it'll add up to having paid an entire month's rent just for being able to defer the rent one time and keep it that way on an ongoing basis.  I'll probably just pay rent in cash by that time, though, and I needed to to it, at the time.

My point is that the fees are steep.  If you have a good rewards card you might get that fee back in rewards, making it a wash, as some have said.  My Merrick card has no rewards.  At times I've used the Merrick-H (Hooters) card for the same purpose and I earned enough cash back rewards doing this to pay myself back for half of the fees.

Whether Merrick card (which I don't think of as a real bank) likes it or not, I do not care, but I have had no indication that they don't like it.  They probably love collecting merchant fees.  I'm sure the rent company charges a fee that is about enough to reimburse them the merchant fee they are paying Merrick.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}