Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Payment Pattern AMEX Likes Best?

tag
Dw4250
Valued Contributor

Re: Payment Pattern AMEX Likes Best?

I posted a similar question yesterday, and received similar responses.   BTW I PIF all my cards weekly...

My very unscientific survey leads me to the conclusion that the payment pattern AMEX (and every other creditor) likes is:

1.  Use their cards early and often

2.  Pay them (on time)

3.  Repeat steps 1 and 2.

Whether you pay weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly I do not think matters so long as they're getting paid.  The reason I say this is no one (correct me if I'm wrong) has actually posted a 1st hand account of getting AA/FR due to multiple payments.  It's all 2nd and 3rd hand mish-mosh, which leads me to conclude this may be more myfico mythology than reasoned fact.

And if a company decides to AA/FR you for paying your bill...well that's just dumb business practice (and a good reason to have cards with several different banks).  More concerning to banks (I would think) is people monkeying around and paying with Bluebird/Vanilla cards or by other means.  That may throw up some flags.  But paying FROM a regular bank account in your name TO a credit card in your name...this seems like a pretty low risk proposition to me.  

Remember at the end of the day, you are their customer...banks should be trying to make you happy, not the other way around! Smiley Wink

But as Dave said, unless you work at AMEX HQ, this is all pure speculation.

Message 21 of 40
eagle2013
Established Contributor

@Dw4250 wrote:

I posted a similar question yesterday, and received similar responses.   BTW I PIF all my cards weekly...

My very unscientific survey leads me to the conclusion that the payment pattern AMEX (and every other creditor) likes is:

1.  Use their cards early and often

2.  Pay them (on time)

3.  Repeat steps 1 and 2.

+1 Honestly unless you're getting dangerously close to your CL (>70-80% util) I don't think that you'll get a gold star from the CCCs by making multiple payments or "pre-paying" your account. The latter, I suggest, would be more problematic.

Message 22 of 40
Chris679
Established Contributor

Standing ovation for your 3 steps to keeping credit card companys happy.
Message 23 of 40
axledobe
Frequent Contributor

I feel a little bit better reading others' comments this morning.  I was approved 40 days ago and have had the card a total of 33 days.  My highest util before PIF immediately was 46% (didn't let that report).  That was a payment of $922 before the first statement cut.  As of today, DW and I have used/swiped the card 56 times.  While some comments on this thread make me worry a bit, I'm going to continue what I'm doing.  The common sense side of me says the more usage, the more $ AMEX makes and, in turn, makes me valued as a customer.  No use = no profit for them.  Am I screaming risk, who knows?  Yes, maybe it's a bit overzealous on my part with SUCH high usage but at the end of the day, high usage on a smaller credit limit and paying it multiple times to keep the util down (and hopefully risk assessment down) and showing them I'm not running up debt but rather using their card ALOT for their profit and my rewards should make them happy.  If they FR me for too much usage, simply put, they're out of their mind. 

And those that bring up the Everyday product make a good point.  Why would they create a product and give incentive on a high number of swipes/transactions if they don't like tons of usage?  If they check on me today, tomorrow or anytime in the future, they are going to see high usage on my Citi card and their card, both always reporting a zero balance (with all other cards at zero, too).

Two side notes - DW and I don't eat out.  We are very health conscious and eat every meal at home and many times, organic.  The reason I got the BCP was solely for the purpose of groceries and our overly high spend due to eating habits.  We likely spend way more than the average couple at the grocery due to diet, thus, making the BCP an extremely valuable card to us.  Lastly, I'm questioning whether or not to try for the 61 day CLI request.  I almost want to hold out and see if they give me an auto CLI first.  I've seen it on a few threads here in the recent past.  Hopefully, I would be a good candidate. 

FICO SCORES: TU 769; EX 790; EQ 790 ***Gardening indefinitely***

Message 24 of 40
Pat94108
Frequent Contributor

@Chris679 wrote:
Obviously more transactions equal more risk for fraud but I think if they were worried about that maybe they wouldn't have introduced a new card that specifically encourages and rewards lots if transactions. They also would not take the time to remind you that AU transactions count towards your 20 if they didn't want you to have AU on your account. The CSR did just that when I called to make sure a large transaction was going to clear this weekend. People need to stop walking on eggshells around Amex and use your card however you want, responsibly of course.

+10000

Message 25 of 40
youdontkillmoney
Valued Contributor

@injustifiiable wrote:

Sooo...my PRG has become my main spending card (besides, I have a minimum spend to make and some bonus points to earn!) and I've had my AMEX for a month now.

What I've been doing is running most expenses through my card and then paying once every two weeks (after payday). Been running around $500-$600 monthly.

Does AMEX like this? I was wondering if I should just be paying the entire balance once a month after the statement cuts. While I do like seeing the smaller balance on the statement now, I would consider the other method if it would improve my internal score with them.

Thanks all!

^^^

I have AMEX Platinum.

I never thought about payment patterns, I just either wait until the statement comes or I pay ahead online and soemtimes pay more than I owe, so end up with a credit, and that credit dwindles down as I charge to the card. If I Have the money immediately available, I just pay off the card since I know it'll be sue anyway.

Message 26 of 40
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Have to remember this forum has been around since the mortgage crisis, and the market was a completely different place then.

Some of our long-held conventional wisdom came from that era, and has been passed down over time.  If something seems wierd or laughable with the current market as it's been for the last 2-3 years, there may have been solid rationale for it previously: and non-zero chance we could go back to it at some point.

Not saying that walking on eggshells around Amex is necessarily part of that, but FWIW people were doing that with the majority of lenders as they were all reducing their exposure faster than their stock prices were falling at one point.

        
Message 27 of 40
Stralem
Established Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

Have to remember this forum has been around since the mortgage crisis, and the market was a completely different place then.

Some of our long-held conventional wisdom came from that era, and has been passed down over time.  If something seems wierd or laughable with the current market as it's been for the last 2-3 years, there may have been solid rationale for it previously: and non-zero chance we could go back to it at some point.

Not saying that walking on eggshells around Amex is necessarily part of that, but FWIW people were doing that with the majority of lenders as they were all reducing their exposure faster than their stock prices were falling at one point.

That is a good point, one I haven't considered. I didn't get my first credit card until 2010, after the first (worst?) wave of big bank freakouts. I'm pretty fortuate in that regard.

That being said, I think it's time for at least some of the myFico lore to be abandoned.

I Have Way Too Many of These.

American Express - No CLI or Appreciation Gift in 7 Years

Citibank - Handing Out Credit Limits Like Candy

Chase - Surprisingly, Still Tolerating My Credit-Chasing Ways

Bank of America - My Newest Bae.

Everyone Else.
Message 28 of 40
axledobe
Frequent Contributor

FWIW, I just came home from work today to a PRG 50K bonus targeted prequal offer after 1K spend in the mail.  It's probably nothing special (I don't know how much 50K MR points are worth) but I'm feeling okay about my usage.  One would think they wouldn't offer a second card to someone where usage or multiple payments is an issue.

I, like Stralem, didn't think about the days Revelate mentioned.  It's a very good point and explains some of the 'tread lightly' responses.  

FICO SCORES: TU 769; EX 790; EQ 790 ***Gardening indefinitely***

Message 29 of 40
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@axledobe wrote:

FWIW, I just came home from work today to a PRG 50K bonus targeted prequal offer after 1K spend in the mail.  It's probably nothing special (I don't know how much 50K MR points are worth) but I'm feeling okay about my usage.  One would think they wouldn't offer a second card to someone where usage or multiple payments is an issue.

I, like Stralem, didn't think about the days Revelate mentioned.  It's a very good point and explains some of the 'tread lightly' responses.  

Unfortunately, that's really not evidence of anything much, offers come from marketing who are often way behind current "operational" statusus.  Last year, people were getting all their Citi cards closed (for "abuse" of Citi 5x TYP) and coming home to multiple Citi offers.

Not saying that your payment pattern is/was bad, just don't read too much into receiving offers!

On the multiple payment front:  I do this a lot but don't exceed my CL (just to keep balances fairly small).  The only slight evidence whymultiple payments followed by spending that exceeds the CL might bad,  is from a single reported instance, someone doing MS on the Blue Cash was told, by Amex, to keep spending under the CL because "CL is there for a reason".

You can  think of the credit limit as the maximum amount that the creditor is happy to allow to be at risk, so if you don't pay, they are out at most the CL.  But it's possible that some issuers, particularly an analytics heavy company like Amex, attach a slightly different meaning, the maximum amount that they want you to spend a month based on your declared income.   So they didn't want this user to exceed the CL, and paying multiple times is a way to do this.  (Wells Fargo also made a similar comment to another user).

But this is a tiny sample, and may also be specific to this card and MS, so until we here of lots of negative consequences, just make sure you pay on time, doing it as many times as you wish!

Message 30 of 40
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.