Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Payment due date for Amex Charge Card

tag
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Payment due date for Amex Charge Card

@Watchmann wrote:

Make it easy and foolproof and set up an autopay payment, that way you'll never have to remember to pay it.  Let AMEX do the work for you, it's a set and forget thing.  You do not want to fool around with forgetting and paying late to AMEX.

This is turning into old school thread, good to see you back as well Watchman (in addition to Open123).

        
Message 11 of 16
jla84
Regular Contributor

I actually had no idea that the "please pay by" date wasn't the actual payment due date! Did I miss something? 

Regardless, I wouldn't get in the habit of paying after the "please pay by" date.

Starting Score (07/2011): EQ 706 TU 709
Current Score (6/2013): EQ 740 TU 732 EX 740
Goal Score: 750+ on all 3

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 12 of 16
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@jla84 wrote:

I actually had no idea that the "please pay by" date wasn't the actual payment due date! Did I miss something? 

Regardless, I wouldn't get in the habit of paying after the "please pay by" date.

You won't get dinged unless you pay after the next statement cuts, usually that is 30 days.   But like others said, it's always better to pay earlier.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 13 of 16
bamagirl1
Established Contributor

Great info to know..Thanks all..I try to pay all my accounts at least 2 weeks or more before they are do, and like Watchman123 said I do have alot of them on auto pay if not so if I forgot don't have to worry with it..

Thanks again!!

~01/2008 Ficos TU 571-EX 647-EQ 652~
~3/21/2009 Ficos TU 705 EX 702 EQ 692~
~9/9/09 Ficos TU 718 EQ 693 EX???
~06/25/12 Ficos TU 719 EQ 677 EX??
Message 14 of 16
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

My statement cuts on the 4th of every month.  My please pay by date has been 18th of every month.  Because of how I have my bills set up, I pay Amex on the last business day of the month (payday).   I discussed this in detail with AmEx on several occasions, and was assured there's no adverse effect from AmEx's perspective of paying before the statement date.

This month, my 'please pay by date' changed to 'due date' and the date changed to the 28th....which confused me.  Spoke to yet another rep, and she informed me that the date changed because of the 'pay over time' option, but since it's still viewed as a charge card, the pay before statement date rule still applies.

For the record, I have sometimes done the same thing whenever I've had personal expenses while traveling using my Corp Amex Card.  Had that card since 2004, and AmEx backdated my personal card (which i got in April 2012) to this date.  Never had a problem then either.

AmEx Green NPSL | Amex BCP 16K | Citi Simplicity 10k | Discover IT 9K | Chase Slate 7.5K | Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 7K | Capital One QuickSilver 6K | Home Depot 5k | Chase Freedom 4.5K | LOC 2.5K
Message 15 of 16
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

@jla84 wrote:

The verbiage is different between the charge cards and revolvers.

On a revolving card, "Please pay by" is replaced with "Payment due by" (or something like that). This same verbiage is also on charge cards that may have items being paid over time.

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.