Kicker

Payment due date for Amex Charge Card

Hey everyone, I have a green card and when I look at my account it says: Please pay by July 18 - $230.98. The closing date is Jul 3rd. So do I have until August 3rd to pay the balance before it's considered late? 

Thanks a lot.

Frequent Contributor
OhioCPA

Re: Payment due date for Amex Charge Card

Kicker wrote:

Hey everyone, I have a green card and when I look at my account it says: Please pay by July 18 - $230.98. The closing date is Jul 3rd. So do I have until August 3rd to pay the balance before it's considered late? 

Thanks a lot.

As I understand, the please pay by date is to ensure that Amex receives payment by the statement cutoff. So, yes you techinally have until August 3 to make your payment. That being said, I wouldn't make a habit out of paying after the "please pay by date" too often. Amex seems to look at credit accounts differently than other lenders and that could be one item they monitor.

________________________________________________________________________________
Chase Sapphire Preferred, Amex Hilton Honors Surpass, Amex BCE, BOA Travel Rewards, Amex MB Platinum
Mega Contributor
LS2982

OhioCPA wrote:

Kicker wrote:

Thanks a lot.

As I understand, the please pay by date is to ensure that Amex receives payment by the statement cutoff. So, yes you techinally have until August 3 to make your payment. That being said, I wouldn't make a habit out of paying after the "please pay by date" too often. Amex seems to look at credit accounts differently than other lenders and that could be one item they monitor.

I agree, try to make a pymt before or at the "please pay by" date.

Silver Spade Garden Club Member - Last App 12/16/13 - Looking for a clean slate NO INQ's / Diamond Inspired!
Starting Score:
EX (PLUS) 583 EQ FICO 565 TU FICO 590 3/15/2011 / Goal Scores: 720
Current Score: EX FICO (PSECU) 671 (myFICO) N/A / EQ FICO 679 / TU08 FICO 678 / TU VS 706 3/6/2014
Moderator Emeritus
webhopper

Try to make it before the please pay by. My please pay by date is usually like the 22nd or 23rd. I always try to pay before the statement cuts or no later than the 15th

Starting Score: 08/29/2011 TU 671 EQ 674
Current Score: TU 754 EQ 694 EX 697
Wallet: NFCU Visa Sig 25k, Amex Lowes 22k, NavCheck 15k, Amex PRG, Amex Zync, Discover It 13.5k, Amazon Visa 5k
Platinum Spade Garden Club Member: App Free since 1/1/13. No more apps til who knows when?
MyFICO Fitness Goal: 800s Club!

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Valued Contributor
Repo-ed

Mine is tomorrow, the 9th.  I paid it on Friday, the 6th. Posted to account yesterday, the 7th.

Kicker

thanks a lot everyone. Is there a reason why paying on or before the "please pay by" date is recommended?

Senior Contributor
Open123

Kicker wrote:

thanks a lot everyone. Is there a reason why paying on or before the "please pay by" date is recommended?

The "please pay by" date is mainy used as the last day to place your payment through the post to ensure it'll be received and processed by Amex by the due date.  For a charge, the official due date (when it's officially late) is always 30 days from your closing date.

Kicker

Thank you open123! I plan on paying online so I guess it shouldn't be too much of an issue for me atleast.

pizzadude

As long as you pay before your next statement cuts ( usually 30 days ) you will be fine. If you pay after that date you'll forfeit your MRE points for that statement. Late fees kick in at 45 days late.
March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Established Contributor
Watchmann

Make it easy and foolproof and set up an autopay payment, that way you'll never have to remember to pay it.  Let AMEX do the work for you, it's a set and forget thing.  You do not want to fool around with forgetting and paying late to AMEX.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+