Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Payment due date for Amex Charge Card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Payment due date for Amex Charge Card

Hey everyone, I have a green card and when I look at my account it says: Please pay by July 18 - $230.98. The closing date is Jul 3rd. So do I have until August 3rd to pay the balance before it's considered late? 

Thanks a lot.

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
OhioCPA
Frequent Contributor

Re: Payment due date for Amex Charge Card

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey everyone, I have a green card and when I look at my account it says: Please pay by July 18 - $230.98. The closing date is Jul 3rd. So do I have until August 3rd to pay the balance before it's considered late? 

Thanks a lot.

As I understand, the please pay by date is to ensure that Amex receives payment by the statement cutoff. So, yes you techinally have until August 3 to make your payment. That being said, I wouldn't make a habit out of paying after the "please pay by date" too often. Amex seems to look at credit accounts differently than other lenders and that could be one item they monitor.

________________________________________________________________________________
Message 2 of 16
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@OhioCPA wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks a lot.

As I understand, the please pay by date is to ensure that Amex receives payment by the statement cutoff. So, yes you techinally have until August 3 to make your payment. That being said, I wouldn't make a habit out of paying after the "please pay by date" too often. Amex seems to look at credit accounts differently than other lenders and that could be one item they monitor.

I agree, try to make a pymt before or at the "please pay by" date.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 3 of 16
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Try to make it before the please pay by. My please pay by date is usually like the 22nd or 23rd. I always try to pay before the statement cuts or no later than the 15th
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 4 of 16
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

Mine is tomorrow, the 9th.  I paid it on Friday, the 6th. Posted to account yesterday, the 7th.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks a lot everyone. Is there a reason why paying on or before the "please pay by" date is recommended?

Message 6 of 16
Open123
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

thanks a lot everyone. Is there a reason why paying on or before the "please pay by" date is recommended?

The "please pay by" date is mainy used as the last day to place your payment through the post to ensure it'll be received and processed by Amex by the due date.  For a charge, the official due date (when it's officially late) is always 30 days from your closing date.

Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you open123! I plan on paying online so I guess it shouldn't be too much of an issue for me atleast.

Message 8 of 16
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

As long as you pay before your next statement cuts ( usually 30 days ) you will be fine. If you pay after that date you'll forfeit your MRE points for that statement. Late fees kick in at 45 days late.
March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 9 of 16
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

Make it easy and foolproof and set up an autopay payment, that way you'll never have to remember to pay it.  Let AMEX do the work for you, it's a set and forget thing.  You do not want to fool around with forgetting and paying late to AMEX.

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.