Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Payment terms.

tag
FixMyCredit1992
Established Contributor

Payment terms.

Seems like it's not disclosed with most CCCs.

Saying you get approved for a $10,000 CL, you go charge $2,000.

However, how do they calculate the min payment? Is it over 3 months, 6 months, a year?

Farm and Fleet $3,000 (AU) Paypal Extras MC $1,500
Barclay's Apple Visa $1,200 QVC Qcard $800
Amazon Store Card $600 Discover $500
Walmart MC $400 Victoria's Secret $350
Credit One $300 Fingerhut $200
TU Fico 626

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
titanofold
Established Contributor

Re: Payment terms.

It should be disclosed with all CCCs.

One of the cards my fiancée has states that it's 4% or $25, whichever is greater. Another one says 1% + interest.

Scores2013-09-21Current
Equifax630 (LP)755 (CK)/749 (Quizzle)
Experian640 (FCR)FICO 707 (Amex)
TransUnion588 (CK)FICO 754 (Barclaycard)
Message 2 of 7
brianjb
Contributor

Most credit cards disclose this.  It is a certain percentage of the balance or a minimum amount.

I don't remember exactly, but let's say it's 2% and $25.  So 2% of $2,000 is $40.  So the minimum would be $40 since that is larger than $25.

AMEX TrueEarnings 10K | AMEX BCE 10K | AMEX Hilton Honors 10K | AMEX Hilton Surpass 2K | Bank of America 1-2-3 2K | Barclay Card 2K | Chase Southwest Premier Visa 6K | Chase Marriott Premier Visa 9K | Discover IT Card 1.5K | Merrick Bank 1.4K | Navy Federal Credit Union Visa 10K | Navy Federal Credit Union navCheck 15K | USAA Rewards 7K |+ tons of store cards (GE furniture, Amazon, Lowes, Home Depot, etc)
Total amount of available credit $100K
Scores (as of December 2013) Equifax 714 | Experian 714 | Transunion 727
Short term goal is score 750+ across the board
Long term goal is to have all scores close to 800 or 800+
Message 3 of 7
brianjb
Contributor

Something else I forgot to mention.

I think a law was passed that they must disclose how long it would take you to pay off the balance if you only paid the minimum.  Something like if you pay the minimum it would take you 7 years to pay off.

I recommend that if you have to figure out if you can afford the mimimum, then you should really think long and hard if you should make that purchase.  Not trying to be mean, cause I've been there.  Paying the mimimum will take forever to pay off.

AMEX TrueEarnings 10K | AMEX BCE 10K | AMEX Hilton Honors 10K | AMEX Hilton Surpass 2K | Bank of America 1-2-3 2K | Barclay Card 2K | Chase Southwest Premier Visa 6K | Chase Marriott Premier Visa 9K | Discover IT Card 1.5K | Merrick Bank 1.4K | Navy Federal Credit Union Visa 10K | Navy Federal Credit Union navCheck 15K | USAA Rewards 7K |+ tons of store cards (GE furniture, Amazon, Lowes, Home Depot, etc)
Total amount of available credit $100K
Scores (as of December 2013) Equifax 714 | Experian 714 | Transunion 727
Short term goal is score 750+ across the board
Long term goal is to have all scores close to 800 or 800+
Message 4 of 7
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@FixMyCredit1992 wrote:

Saying you get approved for a $10,000 CL, you go charge $2,000.

However, how do they calculate the min payment? Is it over 3 months, 6 months, a year?

It is disclosed and part of the the cardmember agreement with every lender.  All lenders are required to provide this disclosure by law when you receive your card.  Out of curiosity, which lenders are you referencing whereby "it's not disclosed"?

Message 5 of 7
FixMyCredit1992
Established Contributor

Well I'm not looking to rack up any more debt at the moment, I was just wondering out of my own curiosity. 

Farm and Fleet $3,000 (AU) Paypal Extras MC $1,500
Barclay's Apple Visa $1,200 QVC Qcard $800
Amazon Store Card $600 Discover $500
Walmart MC $400 Victoria's Secret $350
Credit One $300 Fingerhut $200
TU Fico 626

Message 6 of 7
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@FixMyCredit1992 wrote:

Well I'm not looking to rack up any more debt at the moment, I was just wondering out of my own curiosity. 

Well it would appear that the below statement is inaccurate OP.  Since all lenders have this disclosure requirement with your agreement.  For the 3 cards you have, there should be information that you received with your cardmember agreement inclusive of the information that is printed on any monthly statement.

@      FixMyCredit1992 wrote:

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.