Did you mean: 

Payments to AMEX before first statement

tag
Dustink
Valued Contributor

Re: Payments to AMEX before first statement

They want more more more charges! haha

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 11 of 22
RonDawg
Contributor

@Dustink wrote:

Just noticed that my bonus points already posted. That was good of them. I have only had the card about a week.

AMEX revolving credit cards work like this,  you can only make 1 payment till that payment actually posts to your account you can not make another.  AMEX is the only bank I have seen that allows you to make a payment from their website on pending charges (ones that have not posted yet)  I have the AMEX Blue Cash and I can make a payment on a pending charge however it will not allow me to make another payment till that first payment posts which can take 24 to 48 hours.   One other interesting feature I have seen with AMEX Credit Cards is if you make a lot of payments through out the month then their "Check your spending ability" link will actually authorize more then your credit limit.  Mine is currently 10k and they said they would authorize 20k in charges. I had to laugh but again its AMEX and they have a strange system they use.

AMEX Platinum, AMEX Blue cash (10k), AMEX Delta (10k), US Bank Premier Line (14.5k), US Bank Cash + (7.5k), Chase Freedom (5k), Fred Meyer Rewards Visa (7.5k), US Bank Flex Perks Travel Rewards (5k), Discover IT (9.5k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (8k), Alerus Financial Visa Signature issued by Elan (10k), BofA Cash Rewards (10k), Citi Thankyou Pref (6.5k) TU FICO Score = 807, EQ FICO Score = 780, EX FICO Score = 780,
CreditKarma score = 785, CreditSesame score = 773, Vantage = 903
Message 12 of 22
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@RonDawg wrote:

@Dustink wrote:

Just noticed that my bonus points already posted. That was good of them. I have only had the card about a week.

AMEX revolving credit cards work like this,  you can only make 1 payment till that payment actually posts to your account you can not make another.  AMEX is the only bank I have seen that allows you to make a payment from their website on pending charges (ones that have not posted yet)  I have the AMEX Blue Cash and I can make a payment on a pending charge however it will not allow me to make another payment till that first payment posts which can take 24 to 48 hours.   One other interesting feature I have seen with AMEX Credit Cards is if you make a lot of payments through out the month then their "Check your spending ability" link will actually authorize more then your credit limit.  Mine is currently 10k and they said they would authorize 20k in charges. I had to laugh but again its AMEX and they have a strange system they use.

Bank of America at least if you're pushing from a BOFA checking account I know.  Not certain if you don't have the depository relationship in their online interface whether they allow that or not.  I'm certain there are others too, and you can always gimmick it through anyone's bill pay interface if you absolutely had to, but these days I either just run any charge which might wind up "pending" near the statement close on one of my cards through either a different card, or through the Amex Zync anyways as I couldn't care less what reports on that account.

        
Message 13 of 22
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@RonDawg wrote:

@Dustink wrote:

It does not allow me to make any payments through there system. Pending payments or not. I currently have no pending payments, yet I do have a balance. It still won't let me make a payment. This is probably because I have yet to get my first statement. I am able to force payments from my checking account, so that is what I have been doing.

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 14 of 22
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Once you can make payments on the Amex site, I def recommend using it... It actually posted more quickly than using my Chase online bill pay!!! My amex pmt literally posted in like two hours!!! Wow!
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 15 of 22
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:
Once you can make payments on the Amex site, I def recommend using it... It actually posted more quickly than using my Chase online bill pay!!! My amex pmt literally posted in like two hours!!! Wow!

Nice...will do

I'm just stuck doing it this way for a couple more weeks.

Message 16 of 22
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

why not just use the card and make a payment once a month?  i hear that AMEX doesn't like it when people do multiple payments a month

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 17 of 22
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@ryanbush wrote:

why not just use the card and make a payment once a month?  i hear that AMEX doesn't like it when people do multiple payments a month

I don't like having a balance that high. They gave me a low limit of $2,000, so my utilization would be too high.

Do they report statement info to CRA's, or do they report on a random day?

Message 18 of 22
RonDawg
Contributor

@Dustink wrote:

@ryanbush wrote:

I don't like having a balance that high. They gave me a low limit of $2,000, so my utilization would be too high.

Do they report statement info to CRA's, or do they report on a random day?

with both my AMEX cards they report to the credit bureaus the day after the statement cuts.

AMEX Platinum, AMEX Blue cash (10k), AMEX Delta (10k), US Bank Premier Line (14.5k), US Bank Cash + (7.5k), Chase Freedom (5k), Fred Meyer Rewards Visa (7.5k), US Bank Flex Perks Travel Rewards (5k), Discover IT (9.5k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (8k), Alerus Financial Visa Signature issued by Elan (10k), BofA Cash Rewards (10k), Citi Thankyou Pref (6.5k) TU FICO Score = 807, EQ FICO Score = 780, EX FICO Score = 780,
Message 19 of 22
RonDawg
Contributor

@ryanbush wrote:

actually I have 2 cards with them and they have never had a problem taking mulitiple payments from me in a month.  I think they like getting mulitiple payments from members in a month. I have always paid PR Gold card off every month before the statement even cuts. Never a problem with them, their site says they will approve me to spend 50k on the card and I have never no where near ever put a charge even close to that amount on my card.

Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.