Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paypal MC Recon

tag
staifokuzed
Regular Contributor

Paypal MC Recon

HI Everyone,

I am new to Myfico and of coarse credit rebuilding.  I applied to Paypal MC today and it said processing application and had a number but I closed it to fast before reading (assuming it was a denial).  Remember all the wonderful advice on this site I set out on a recon mission.  Well after about 6 automated systems and 3 live people I arrived at a very polite representative.  I verified my identity as I thought I would.  Then it was a little strange.  He asked for my cell phone number and permission to send me a computer text message.  I agreed, he sent it , I confirmed.  That seemed strange to me.  Then he said I as approved for 1000 CL.  (awesome I only have secured credit at the moment so that is huge).  I said thank you and I think that it is over.  But it is not he states that when I receive the card to not activate it by number on card.  He said that I have to to call this special number 1-866-834-3205.  I have never done a recon before and just wondering if these are common things they do when you recon.  For those considering calling after denial it was not bad at all give it a try.

AMEX B SKY-1K AMEX PRG- NPSL USAA PLTM -6K
DISCOVER IT- 5.2K BARCLAY REWARD- 3.2K
PAYPAL REWARDS -6K VICTORIA SECRETS -1750
USAA AMEX-5.5K CITI TY PREFR 3.1K(NPSL) CHASE FREEDOM -1K
SPORTSMAN VISA- 8K AMEX ED PRFD- 8.5
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Re: Paypal MC Recon

I've heard a lot of recon stories, but never anything like that.

Congrats on the approval, from what I've heard recons dont happen very often with GE.
Message 2 of 14
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Strange, but congrats!

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 3 of 14
staifokuzed
Regular Contributor

I agree with the strange part. I am new to this credit rebuilding so I was not sure if this was part of the normal. They ran Equifax I do believe. That file is very thin. Only have 1 card with 300 dollar limit and it's 4 month old. I used cash for a very long time after I destroyed my credit it was only in August of this year when I started to begin rebuilding

TRANSUNION PULL NOT EQUIFAX!!!

Message 4 of 14
desie25
Valued Member

congrats on the approval I appled earlier but was denied

Starting Score: 522
Current Score: 625
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 5 of 14
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

When I applied I received an instant approval but I can tell you that PayPal MC is big on sending text messages with identity codes.  I guess that's their way to combat fraud.

Message 6 of 14
staifokuzed
Regular Contributor

Thank You Lexie for your input. That is what the gentleman did call them identity codes. So that mystery is solved. Now I'm just wondering why not to follow the activations instructions as he said. And the call the special number once I receive the card. I'm more worried that they tell me after careful review you have not been approved more than anything.
Message 7 of 14
Epcot
Valued Contributor

End result was an approval, so Congrats! Smiley Happy

Starting Score: EQ 717 EX 724 TU 736
Current Score: EQ 849 EX 835 TU 841
Message 8 of 14
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@staifokuzed wrote:

HI Everyone,

I am new to Myfico and of coarse credit rebuilding.  I applied to Paypal MC today and it said processing application and had a number but I closed it to fast before reading (assuming it was a denial).  Remember all the wonderful advice on this site I set out on a recon mission.  Well after about 6 automated systems and 3 live people I arrived at a very polite representative.  I verified my identity as I thought I would.  Then it was a little strange.  He asked for my cell phone number and permission to send me a computer text message.  I agreed, he sent it , I confirmed.  That seemed strange to me.  Then he said I as approved for 1000 CL.  (awesome I only have secured credit at the moment so that is huge).  I said thank you and I think that it is over.  But it is not he states that when I receive the card to not activate it by number on card.  He said that I have to to call this special number 1-866-834-3205.  I have never done a recon before and just wondering if these are common things they do when you recon.  For those considering calling after denial it was not bad at all give it a try.

I just googled the number and it appears that it's a GE Capital number-Fraud Division. Idk, maybe they are making sure that its really you that activates the card.   Did you have any recent changes to your address? Or I have heard that they are extra careful if there is nt a home number (landline) listed on the account.  

Eitherway, you should be fine. 

Message 9 of 14
staifokuzed
Regular Contributor

Thank you again Lexi.  Yes my one and only number is a cell.  I have live at my same address for 5 years now but with no active accounts for 7 years almost all old accounts have fallen off.  Addresses were a little goofy and I have been slowly removed the obvious mistakes(Didn't want to make to many changes and freeze my file).  So that sounds very accurate.  Also they Pulled Transunion I was mistaken.  Bill me later pulled Equifax and I was decline that last month.  My Transunion file is better two secured ( not reported as so) and AU (17.5k) limit.  Score last known  684(myfico).  Come along way from 551( several autoloan rejections).  I want to thank all for your help and this post and for the other post that you have posters you have replied to.  With out all of your combine knowledge This would not have been possible.  Thank everyone who congradulated me!  The encourgement helps this process so much better Thank You! 

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.