cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paypal MasterCard CC Fraud

tag
traveller

Paypal MasterCard CC Fraud

I just received a letter from GE Captial informing me I will be receiving the Paypal MasterCard credit card I recently applied for.

I did not apply for one.

I immediately called the number on the letter and they determined someone opened a MasterCard account on 1-Dec-2011 and charged $1000 in San Jose, Ca.  The charge has been marked fraudulent and the account closed.  Paypal/GE? is undertaking a fraud investigation.

My question is what other steps, if any, should I take now?  TIA

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
john398
Senior Contributor

Re: Paypal MasterCard CC Fraud

be a good time to freeze your reports

Message 2 of 10
traveller

How is that done?  I've seen references to it, but no particulars.

Message 3 of 10
traveller

The forum provided the "how to" information.

All three CRs are now frozen.

I'm not in the market for new credit but I just hope there are not too many 'unintended consequences' for day to day use of my existing cards.

Edit:

Got EQ and EX reports, only a single inquiry on 1-Dec-11 so hopefully no more surprises.  BTW, if you're due an annual free credit report, grab it before you put a freeze on, EX and TU wouldn't provide one saying that I've already been provided one. 

I was able to pull (pay) a single report from EX but TU apparently will only sell you a 3 bureau report.

Message 4 of 10
quest208
Frequent Contributor

where was the card mailed to? that should be a good start...assuming the card was mailed.

TU08 762
NFCU Visa Signature $20,000, Citi Prestige $15,500, USAA Mastercard $11,000, American Express Platinum, Barclays American Express $4700, Best Buy Mastercard $400, Orchard/Capital One $700
Message 5 of 10
LS2982
Mega Contributor

tis' the season Smiley Very Happy

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 6 of 10
traveller

<<where was the card mailed to? that should be a good start...assuming the card was mailed>>

Interesting question.  The letter from GE Capital (2-Dec-11) stated that the card would "arrive shortly" and that I should "activate it promptly", presumably to my address.  Todays date and 2-Dec-11 make sense for a physical delivery of a card in a few more days.

One has to wonder how the account was opened on 1-Dec-11 and 'card' charged $1000 on 1-Dec-11 before it was activated.

Message 7 of 10
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@traveller wrote:

<<where was the card mailed to? that should be a good start...assuming the card was mailed>>

Interesting question.  The letter from GE Capital (2-Dec-11) stated that the card would "arrive shortly" and that I should "activate it promptly", presumably to my address.  Todays date and 2-Dec-11 make sense for a physical delivery of a card in a few more days.

One has to wonder how the account was opened on 1-Dec-11 and 'card' charged $1000 on 1-Dec-11 before it was activated.

Temporary card instant credit on app approval day

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 8 of 10
traveller

<<Temporary card instant credit on app approval day>>

What personal information is required for this?  I'm wondering what 'they' know?

I'm fairly paranoid about security, virtually everything is shredded before disposal.

Message 9 of 10
traveller

GE Captial has closed the fraudulent account and started a 90 day investigation.  I have frozen all three CRs.

In reviewing the CRs, not surprisingly, the GE card is shown as being opened.  Should I immediatley contact the bureaus directly to dispute the existance the card on the CR, or will the fact that GE has closed the fraudlulent acount filter back to the CR?  TIA

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.