Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paypal Mastercard question

tag
TryN2Rebuild
Regular Contributor

Re: Paypal Mastercard question

I have a bill me later account does anyone know if I can have a Paypal MC ?

Message 11 of 27
Jenmerie
Valued Member

No you can't..its a rule that you can't have them both due to competing with other paypal products. I use to work for bml which is a seperate entity but still considered a paypal product since paypal owns billmelater. You have to close bml to get the Paypal mc.
I need a comeback
Message 12 of 27
MakeItAMudLight
Frequent Contributor

I actually have BML and Paypal Smart Connect.  I know several others that do as well.

Message 13 of 27
suzook1
Frequent Contributor

add me to that list as well

Message 14 of 27
TryN2Rebuild
Regular Contributor

I tried doing that and it said I have a bml and can't paypal connect. How did you do that?

Message 15 of 27
Jenmerie
Valued Member

aa

I should clarify... it depends on if you want to use Billmelater through paypal. We didn't handle paypal just Bml customers. To my knowledge if you already have one..you you cant use the other for paypal purchases.. so if in fact you apply and get approved you shouldn't (unless things have changed in the last month or there is some glitch) be able to use billmelater thru paypal again until you cancel one. However...You can still use Billmelater at the native stores on billmelater.com ... There have been threads about this...I believe...and please before you apply feel free to call billmelater they will confirm more about what I mean. Here is a thread too. https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/Bill-Me-Later/Suggestion-Mastercard-Smart-Connect-Bill-me-later/... It is also possible if you had smartconnect and billmelater before March that you might be okay...they went through a big migration during that time. Sorry on my phoneSmiley Happy

Edit: this link explains it all. So if your billmelater is linked in paypal you wont be able to sign up...you have to unlink them...in most cases you would have to close Billmelater and wait for the system to update then apply for sc. If your billmelater is not linked you may be fine..but know you can't ever use billmelater through paypal. ( when I was working at BML, paypal did not have a dedicated way of unlinking Billmelater) https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/Bill-Me-Later/Unable-to-link-BillMeLater-account-with-Paypal-due...

I need a comeback
Message 16 of 27
Timberlynn69

Re: aa

me too...

I have a BML account with a 2500 CL and a Smart Connect with a 800 CL

Starting Score: 600
Current Score: 678
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 17 of 27
Jenmerie
Valued Member

Tymberlynn69 that may be true since they are backed by diff banks but you won't be able to link them both with paypal. As a rep we were so used to getting calls from paypal customers wondering why they couldn't use bml on eBay or paypal checkouts , then we figured out they already had a paypal product linked. And you have to close one to link the other. So if you use bml and paypal smart connect separately then yes. I assumed the poster was asking about this earlier, I didn't think about having them separate, because our calls were mainly customers wanting to use their BML accounts on Paypal in which they already had SC or the MC linked.  This sucked for us because BillMeLater and Paypal are seperate, we were in two seperate buildings.  BML can't see paypal accounts and Paypal can't see BML accounts.

FYI: Typically, if you go to a paypal merchant...on checkout you should always be prompted with a bml option. But if you have a paypal product already the bml option will either not show up or be grayed out because you can only link one product at a time.

***If you have your BML account FIRST and it IS linked in your Paypal account, I'm not sure if you will get approved for SC/MC or even get to apply.  If you have your BML and it's NOT linked you should be fine to apply.  ***

I need a comeback
Message 18 of 27
Timberlynn69

Okay - I see where you are coming from Jenmerie.

Starting Score: 600
Current Score: 678
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 19 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Same thing happened to me this evening. Called and was approved for $800, but i believe for the MC though... I don't recall hearing the lady saying anything about "smart connect"

Message 20 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.