Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paypal credit

tag
mrinal
New Contributor

Paypal credit

I have been trying to get paypal credit. Been declined three times. First application was just a few days after opening paypal account. That application was declined because of too short a relationship with paypal. Other two were declined because of too many inquiries. I made a big mistake. I applied frequently for credit cards and got declined. I should not have done it. Currently, I have more than 25 inquiries in all the credit bureaus and my credit history is only one year long and average age of accounts is only four months.

1. When should I apply for paypal credit?

2. How much starting limit do they normally give?

3. Is their cli a softpull cli and is there any love button?

9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Paypal credit

1.  You need to age those inquiries.  Wait six months and have an Equifax score of at least 650 (They are Comenity backed, and Comenity loves Equifax pulls for new accounts)

2.   Varies, mine was 1250 with a score of about 660 when I applied.

3.  They do not do CLI by request, you have to attempt to exceed your limit and they will re-evaluate.  It is a soft pull but if they deny it and you do not have backup funds, they might try to ACH your linked bank account.  If they approve it, usually they will only increase your limit enough to cover the purchase.  IE if your limit was 1000 and you were at 900 and tried to buy something for 101, they might actually only increase your overall limit to 1001.  Or they might go higher, Comenity is a weird animal with CLI.  There is anecdotal evidence of autocli yearly in the 1000 area.

Also keep in mind, Paypal does not report. (other than the hard inq from the opening of the account).  Its a hidden tradeline, and will not help nor hurt your credit record.  I use mine for regular online purchases so they dont affect my Utilization when I cant PIF that month (like for Xmas shopping where my spend exceeds my monthly budget)

But also remember it has a 19.99 interest rate, so it is NOT a cheap way to buy over time.  Its almost as bad as Fingerhut or a store card in the long term.  Its only real value, IMO, is the fact it doesnt affect Util.  The six months deferred interest is nice, but if you miss paying off that purchase by the time those six months are up by even a day, they will nail you with ALL of the interest you would have accumulated without the deferral.  Depending on the size of the purchase, that might amount to hundreds in interest, and i am not kidding.  At 20 percent APR, a thousand dollar purchase would be 100 dollars interest in six months, more or less.

Message 2 of 10
MASTERNC
Frequent Contributor

I read Synchrony just agreed to buy all of PayPal's consumer credit business, including the accounts owned by Comenity

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

oh dear

https://www.paypal.com/stories/us/expanding-our-relationship-with-synchrony-financial

That sounds legit.  Paypal Credit is going to become a Synch product.  Good thing im in the good with Synch.

Message 4 of 10
peghede
Valued Contributor

Noooooo, no Synchrony R.I.P

Message 5 of 10
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

I dont think i like that.Sync Financial is hard pull crazy unlike Sync Bank . Same company but different methods. I wonder if PPC will report to cb's soon?
Message 6 of 10
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

My limit is $950 - I got it last year, at the very start of touching credit again. No idea what my score was though. 

Edited to add: limit is now $1250, they raised it $300 without asking.

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

If Sync is taking over Comenity accounts, wonder what that means if you have both Paypal Credit and the Paypal 2% CB card. Also, wonder if the financing with Paypal Credit goes away. I use Paypal Credit often for the financing. 

Message 8 of 10
marty56
Super Contributor

I would wait a year until they don't count anymore.  Not sure about the 6 month thing since I thought FICO doesn't count them after a year, not 6 months.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@marty56 wrote:

I would wait a year until they don't count anymore.  Not sure about the 6 month thing since I thought FICO doesn't count them after a year, not 6 months.

Comenity doesnt like inqs less than 6 months old, after that they are less concerned about them

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.