Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pen Fed Preapprovals - HP required

tag
iFICO
Valued Member

Pen Fed Preapprovals - HP required

Looks like Penfed is back to posting preapprovals quarterly.  I got my first batch of them this month after a year and half of membership and having a cc for almost a year.  I opted to take the credit limit increase on my Platinum Cash card ( I really didn't need a boat or an RV!  Smiley Wink.)

I was approved but they did do a HP on EQ for the increase.  I know I've read on here about it not being a HP if preapproved but that seems to not be the case any more.

Just sharing....

Starting Score: TU698 EQ691
Current Score: TU800 EQ816
Goal Score: achieved

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Pen Fed Preapprovals - HP required

I'm curious, do you remember the thread on that?  That'd be a really unusual policy and really bucking the system.

FICO doesn't work if lenders don't report seeking new credit, and given Penfed's conservative business practice I'd never, ever suspect them of ever coloring so far outside the lines as that.

        
Message 2 of 5
iFICO
Valued Member

Here is one that I remember that made mention of "no HP" and just assumed all Penfed preapprovals worked that way.  It's an older thread, but one that I remember when researching PenFed for myself when I decided to join a year and a half ago.

I Love PenFed

I'm curious if others have accepted Pre approved offers from PenFed and whether there was a HP or not?   

Starting Score: TU698 EQ691
Current Score: TU800 EQ816
Goal Score: achieved

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

This has been a long-standing tradition of Penfed to post quarterly pre-approvals and not do a hard pull if you accept.  Jan 1st, April, July, Oct...   

However, I have heard a few instances in which they pulled a hard.  Few and far between though.  I know others that accepted the Oct pre-approvals with no hard pull.  You're basically the exception to the rule unfortunately.  Did something change on your credit report in the last month?  They would have hit you with a soft around 9/24 for that pre-approval offer, so maybe something you did made them antsy.

Message 4 of 5
nicemann
Established Contributor

Humm I just accepted a preapproval to increase my credit line of my PenFed Cash Rewards.  Hopefully they didn't hard pull me too.  Is it usually EQ they pull?  Will have to check it out tomorrow and see if the same thing happened to me.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.