Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pen Fed

tag
iMacDrew
Frequent Contributor

Pen Fed

Like many of you I have a nfcu membership. but I am getting out of the military and it seems unless you retire you cannot become members after an honorable discharge to these credit unions. if i dont apply for membership while im in do you think it will be something i would kick myself in the butt for once im out?

Lender pulled 10-10-13
EQ Fico 715 | EX Fico 714 | TU Fico 703
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
pkosheta
Contributor

Re: Pen Fed

There are many ways to join PenFed, and being active duty is not required. My father is retired military and I was able to get in once he was in. If nothing else anyone can join one of the two different organizations that allow you to join PenFed. They each cost $15 dollars I think. A small price to pay, the money helps support the troops, and you get access to PenFed, aka the best friend you will ever have in the financial world.
Age 29
AU- United+ Visa 33k, *97. GM MasterCard 15k, *95.
Individual- PenFed Plat Rew 7k, *08. Amex Blue 6.7k, *12. Hilton Amex 5.5k, *12. Chase Sapphire 15k, *12. U.S. Bank Cash+ 12.3k, *12. Barclays Priceline.com Rewards Visa 11k, *13. Citi DoubleCash (PC'd in *14) 7k, *13. Club Carlson Premier 9k, *13.
Message 2 of 8
iMacDrew
Frequent Contributor

thx for your insight. i just became a member but have to stay in the garden for a little while ! 

Lender pulled 10-10-13
Message 3 of 8
iMacDrew
Frequent Contributor

now that being said what do you think is the best cc offered through penfed, I think the penfed amex travel card looks appealing esspecially since I dont have a travel cc yet!

Lender pulled 10-10-13
Message 4 of 8
pkosheta
Contributor

Personally I like the Plat Rewards because 5% on gas and 3% on groceries (including, as far as I know, the commissary for military!!!) and 1% everything else. It also had a 25k signup promotion for a while if you switched to it from the gas rewards card, 5% cash back gas and .25% cash back on everything else. I switched mostly for the free 25k points and the bonus of getting the 3% groceries when compared to the old gas rewards card. The travel Amex would be good if you fly around a lot, 5% airfare 1% all else. But if you are airline brand loyal you might get a better deal with that airlines card or the CSP with its huge signup bonus. If you spend 15k a year on it you get a basic lounge membership too of some kind. I fly once every few years but stay in a lot of hotels for intrastate travel, so i see little personal use for me and it has a separate rewards site from the plat rewards card so I can't comment on that, but I do enjoy the giftcard selection with plat rewards. I have been getting 25 dollar cvs cards for 2400 points, but you can always get prepaid visa cards at a 1:1 basis. Some people want cash, but giftcards work out well since my copay for certain scrips is exactly 25 dollars. Those are the only 3 penfed cards I can talk about with any knowledge, but I know they have others but since they are not often mentioned I doubt they are fantastic rewardswise. PenFed plat does have a big fanbase though I believe and I'm sure I won't be the only one to mention it.
Age 29
AU- United+ Visa 33k, *97. GM MasterCard 15k, *95.
Individual- PenFed Plat Rew 7k, *08. Amex Blue 6.7k, *12. Hilton Amex 5.5k, *12. Chase Sapphire 15k, *12. U.S. Bank Cash+ 12.3k, *12. Barclays Priceline.com Rewards Visa 11k, *13. Citi DoubleCash (PC'd in *14) 7k, *13. Club Carlson Premier 9k, *13.
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know this you have to be carefull on your verbiage when your explaining the PenFed Cards they are so close to eachother is't sometimes confusing.  Just make sure you look online so you know which one your apping for, I chose the Visa Platinum cash back for the 5% cash back on gas they also have the PenFed Platinum rewards which gives you points back vice percent!  Just FYI... Congrats on the new member status NFCU and PenFed for life!!

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Tonight I realized that I have a Pen Fed membership. I must have signed up with them a few years ago. Based on the info in my signiture, do you think I have a chance at getting a card from them? Thinking about submitting an auto refinance app too.   If not, at least my foot is in the door until I get to the level they will like.

Message 7 of 8
Crashem
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Tonight I realized that I have a Pen Fed membership. I must have signed up with them a few years ago. Based on the info in my signiture, do you think I have a chance at getting a card from them? Thinking about submitting an auto refinance app too.   If not, at least my foot is in the door until I get to the level they will like.

No chance.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.