Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pen Fed

tag
virgo
Established Contributor

Pen Fed

How does Pen Fed feel about inquires and new accounts?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
alvon123
Super Contributor

Re: Pen Fed

how many many inq do you have on your Equifax report (Penfed usually pulls from Equifax) and how many new accounts do you have?

@virgo wrote:

Message 2 of 9
Bsong
Regular Contributor

Dont waste your time with Penfed. Go with ALLIANT instead if you want an APPROVAL. 

Message 3 of 9
TNTransplant
Established Contributor

@virgo wrote:

They don't like either.  If you have multiple inquiries and new accounts, you'll most likely get a decline with their infamous "pyramiding debt" response as the reason.  I was a member for 1.5 years before I got a card with them.  It was an instant approval with a $13000 CL, so it was worth the wait.  But, my report was pretty much pristine by that time and my EQ Fico was around 760... 

Starting Score: Jan 2012: EQ - 659, TU08 - 670, EX - ???
Current Score:April 2014: EQ - 772, TU08 - 782, EX - 754
Last App:3/21/14

Message 4 of 9
virgo
Established Contributor

Thank you for the responses.  Lots of inq's,. Starting business.  7 new accoutns this year. 2 with Chase. 

Message 5 of 9
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

PenFed is one of the most conservative lenders out there.  A lot of people will get  an approval screen and amount online, but it all has to be manually reviewed by an underwriter.  As other have said, they absolutely hate inq and new accounts.  I was denied after 7 days in-process for the infamous "pyramiding of debt" with 2% util, AAoA 3 years and EQ FICO of 804.

OCCU's gorgeous Duck card (and to a lesser extent by looks, the Beaver Card Smiley Happy) is one that doesn't seem to mind inquiries or new accounts.

Message 6 of 9
awp317
Frequent Contributor

Penfed gave me a 7-10 day message so I called and asked what I could do to speed up the process. She said that I had excessive inquiries, and said I could either cancel the application (basically denied) or send in my w2 for further review. Faxed them that and was approved for 23k. 

Amex Platinum NPSL I Chase Sapphire Reserve 78K I Chase Freedom U 55k I JP Morgan Ritz 50k I B OF A Cash Rewards 50k I Barclay Black Luxury 43,750 I Capital One QuickSilver 40K I Amex BCP 34k I Amex Optima Platinum 30k I Barclays Arrival+ World E 29k I Merril+ 27,800 I Lowes 25k I Pen Fed PR Visa Sig 20K I Home Depot 17k I NFCU Cash Rewards 8k

Amex Biz Platinum NPSL I Lowes Business 42k I Amex Simply Cash + $22,500 I Chase Ink 21K I B of A World Points $20,500 I B of A Bus MasterCard 16k I Amex SPG 3K.
Message 7 of 9
Blackrv7
Frequent Contributor

I was recently instantly approved for $20,000 on their visa sig with EQ pull of 768, no reported inqs, one reported new TL so I might be one of those low inq, low new TL clients but if you do qualify they seem like a very nice CU with which to have a long term relationship.

Below is a copy and paste of another poster who recently was approved for $13K, lots of new TLs and 8 inq on EQ so it doesn't look like the inq and new TLs is an auto decline.

So I’m super happy right now with my credit right now.  I went from $300 in credit to $48,500 in 3 months!

Thanks for everyone’s advice here!

Stats before my recent approvals:

FICO: EQ: 758 (11/21 OCCU pull)

AAoA: 4.5 yr 

Util: 7%

Cap1: $2500 CLI  opened 3/11

Barclay: $5000 CLI  opened 9/13

Amex: $2000 CLI opened 9/13 (backdated to 95)

Chase Marriott: $6000 CLI opened 9/13

CSP: $5000 CLI opened 9/13

Mortgage: opened 8/12

Auto Loan: opened 1/12

Auto Loan: paid/closed - opened 1/04 ( 7-30 days late, 3-60 days late) (only baddie)

EQ: 8 inq

All but 1 inquires auto or home buying related

Current myFico EX 734, EQ 777, TU 742
AAoA 6 years 3 months, Length 25 years 2 months

Message 8 of 9
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@virgo wrote:

As always, it depends on one's credit.  There isn't an X for inquiries and a Y for new accounts which is the defining line for every person out there with PenFed -- or any other creditor for that matter.  They consider the entire credit picture -- not just one or two aspects of one's credit.

FWIW I had 4 new accounts and the associated hard pulls in the 4 months prior to getting approved for my PenFed card.  PenFed not only granted an instant approval but my current highest CL.  Another person's credit with the same number of inquiries and new accounts may not support an approval with PenFed.  They are known to be very conservative in their approvals.

@virgo wrote:

7 new accoutns this year. 2 with Chase. 

With 7 it's probably not worth attempting.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.