Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pen Fed

tag
m3rge
Regular Contributor

Re: Pen Fed

Hi again,

I had the Walmart Store card for 5 months, this past month I got a auto-cli from 900 to 1400.

Message 11 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Its a no go in my opinion

The income will be the hard part

Try something else and after having maybe 6 credit accounts for 6 months history of good payment u will be approved

Message 12 of 22
kevinjjc
Valued Contributor

@jorgevazquez87 wrote:

Hi again,

I had the Walmart Store card for 5 months, this past month I got a auto-cli from 900 to 1400.

Call 1-866-519-6441 right now. With GE, it's better to recon during the weekend or after regular business hours. There's really nothing to lose since it's a soft inquiry for CLI requests with GE. Ask for 5k...they will make a counter offer, if they won't give you the full amount. If you get denied, no harm done.

Message 13 of 22
m3rge
Regular Contributor

I never made a CLI call, what questions are gonna be ask? What I'm supposed to say even if I don't need that amount?

I just want to be ready to answer correctly!
Message 14 of 22
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@kevinjjc wrote:

@jorgevazquez87 wrote:

Hi again,

Call 1-866-519-6441 right now. With GE, it's better to recon during the weekend or after regular business hours. There's really nothing to lose since it's a soft inquiry for CLI requests with GE. Ask for 5k...they will make a counter offer, if they won't give you the full amount. If you get denied, no harm done.

Is this a good idea if the goal is Penfed?   Giving the fairly small income, increasing CLs might lead to the famous "pyramiding debt" rejection by PenFed.

Message 15 of 22
kevinjjc
Valued Contributor

@bs6054 wrote:

@kevinjjc wrote:

@jorgevazquez87 wrote:

Hi again,

Is this a good idea if the goal is Penfed?   Giving the fairly small income, increasing CLs might lead to the famous "pyramiding debt" rejection by PenFed.

In my opinion, it's a good idea. Higher credit limits beget higher credit limits. Achieving a 5k limit is a major benchmark in the early phase of credit building. The "pyramiding debt" from PenFed is geared towards people with a lot of credit cards.

Message 16 of 22
kevinjjc
Valued Contributor

@jorgevazquez87 wrote:
I never made a CLI call, what questions are gonna be ask? What I'm supposed to say even if I don't need that amount?

I just want to be ready to answer correctly!

Don't worry, it's really no big deal..especially with GE. They will ask you standard questions like income, etc. If they ask why you want an increase, just say something like you are planning on making a big purchase.

Message 17 of 22
m3rge
Regular Contributor

Wohoo! made the call, asked for anual income wait 3 minutes. Couple more questions like address and date of birth, they don't asked for purpose of purchase, wait 3 minutes and boom! 1400 to 5000 cli, yes!!!

Thank you everyone!

Message 18 of 22
Open123
Super Contributor

@kevinjjc wrote:

@bs6054 wrote:

@kevinjjc wrote:

@jorgevazquez87 wrote:

Hi again,

In my opinion, it's a good idea. Higher credit limits beget higher credit limits. Achieving a 5k limit is a major benchmark in the early phase of credit building. The "pyramiding debt" from PenFed is geared towards people with a lot of credit cards.

Pen Fed strikes me as a very smart lender, especially when their credit analysts conduct a manual review.  

They seem more apt to be able to accurately pick out those who are applying just for signing bonuses (churners) with nary an intention of using there cards after the initial award; or, using their cards only for the bonus categories, which no issuer likes.  They also seem very keenly aware of Fico score manipulation, such as inflated scores from AU piggybacking and AAOA artificially increased by Amex backdating.

I'm very impressed with how they run things there.  Definitely a card worth having, if they fit your needs.

Message 19 of 22
kevinjjc
Valued Contributor

@jorgevazquez87 wrote:

Wohoo! made the call, asked for anual income wait 3 minutes. Couple more questions like address and date of birth, they don't asked for purpose of purchase, wait 3 minutes and boom! 1400 to 5000 cli, yes!!!

Thank you everyone!

Congrats!!! See, I told you! Glad it worked out for you.

ETA: Wait for the new credit limit to report before you apply for more cards.

Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.