Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pen fed approval chances

tag
Carlile92
Regular Contributor

Pen fed approval chances

I want to know my chances of approval for a pen fed visa I am very interested in building a relationship with this credit union to get auto loan in future. I have a 709 fico score as of today from my fico with a couple of new account and double digit inq aaoa is 0.8 years no baddies ever but very short history great payment history on one cap one cc opened in July
Fico's in 500s across all three and one nfcu nrewards card with 2k limit for rebuilding
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Carlile92
Regular Contributor

Re: Pen fed approval chances

And ialos before I apply do they have recon number or fax number don't want to waste inq
Fico's in 500s across all three and one nfcu nrewards card with 2k limit for rebuilding
Message 2 of 13
RyVision
Valued Contributor

I want to give you honest info, so I won't sugar coat it much.  It looks like you're starting off well enough with your credit, the score is looking nice at 709, however, that does not get you a CC with PenFed. They require a lot more than a good score to approve a card.  I wouldn't apply for anything from PenFed with anything less than a 725. I am an AU on a PenFed, not the primary. It is a nice card and they are very nice on the phone, but I wouldn't waste applying myself, I went for NFCU.

The 0.8 AAoA is a bit short for any prime card, almost a guaranteed decline from PenFed. If you had 8 years AAoA with a 709 and low utilization you MIGHT get approved by PenFed. As long as you still had nearly spotless reports (they might over look a couple 30 day lates with around 8 years AAoA).  They also like to see rather large limits on other cards (again, with fairly long AAoA) and near spotless history.

A few people I've heard have gotten lucky and applied and were approved by them (most likely with DD or a history with PenFed). They are very hard to obtain a card from, I'd say harder than AMEX has ever been known (rumored actually) to be. You'll want more history (a couple years at least AAoA), a couple high limit cards, and a score over 725 at the very least before you'd be wasting an inquiry. Unless you can throw 30 or so grand at them for CD's or something.

As most would say "YMMV" but I want you to know the most honest answer in general to your question, taking into consideration what info was supplied.  (At the time of this post, no one else had responded so far).

They are also not the only credit union out there with lower auto rates, NFCU is fairly low I think along with a few others.

If you're still curious about your chances, call PenFed about applying and ask questions, they're very helpful with good CSR's.  They have no "backdoor number" that I know of myself.

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 3 of 13
IowaGuy
Contributor

I have a pen fed card. I joined the credit union with 680 fico. 6 months latter I applied for and was instantly approved for a pen fed promise. They have a preapproval for me for a car loan at 1.5% (special odder) sitting in a gold box when i log on, that I am not taking at this time.

I would get a membership with them now and sit on it for half year. by then hour accounts will be a little older. Pen fed is sensative to new accounts, so consider that when apping for credit products.

Also, go ahead and app for the card, they will use the same pull as for your membership. They are a conservative bank, they like paperwork. I do like them a lot though.
700 Club
Amex Gold PR, Main card, Role: rewards
Chase Amazon Visa, Role: Amex backup
Pen Fed Promise, Role: low APR, balances
Amazon Store Card, Role: 0% financing
Message 4 of 13
IowaGuy
Contributor

more info -my credit history is much thicker. 4 revolvers 3 with good Hx and 1 new with little Hx, oldest is 4 years. 3 student loans in good standing oldest is 12 years, 1 collection 6 years old. Fico at time of app 705.
700 Club
Amex Gold PR, Main card, Role: rewards
Chase Amazon Visa, Role: Amex backup
Pen Fed Promise, Role: low APR, balances
Amazon Store Card, Role: 0% financing
Message 5 of 13
RyVision
Valued Contributor

@IowaGuy wrote:
more info -my credit history is much thicker. 4 revolvers 3 with good Hx and 1 new with little Hx, oldest is 4 years. 3 student loans in good standing oldest is 12 years, 1 collection 6 years old. Fico at time of app 705.

I'm gonna guess that the 12 year SL history could have had a bit to do with your approval though.  1 collection 6 years ago in a 12 year history is not bad, esp with your file, I'm going to guess you had at least 1 5 figure card or 2 5000+ cards in that mix (before applying with PenFed maybe).  You also had 6 months of history with them at time of card application (first line of my 3rd paragraph).  Do you by any chance remember what your AAoA was at the time of approval?

I also tend to focus on the Cash Rewards card from PenFed (the 5% back on gas at the pump deal) when speaking of them, I don't know if it's a harder to get card or not, just going on what I've read and was told (by PenFed CSR's on the phone etc).  I guess I figure that's their most popular product to apply for.

I also agree with the advice you gave in your first post considering the additional info Smiley Wink

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

You don't have a prayer...

(IMO)

Message 7 of 13
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Carlile92 wrote:
I want to know my chances of approval for a pen fed visa I am very interested in building a relationship with this credit union to get auto loan in future. I have a 709 fico score as of today from my fico with a couple of new account and double digit inq aaoa is 0.8 years no baddies ever but very short history great payment history on one cap one cc opened in July

I would get some solid history (at least a year on all CC TL's) before apping for them.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 8 of 13
drkaje
Senior Contributor

I wouldn't waste the app, right now.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 13
ChesterPDexter
Established Contributor

Don't be offended if PenFed turns you down.  In my opinion, they want perfection.  Look at the credit limits I have (in my signature) through the likes of USAA, NFCU, and others, and they said "NO" to me a few times now.  I don't know when I'll apply again - once I have everything paid off and everything negative from 7-10 years ago is off my reports, I guess (for full disclosure, I have a BK from 2002 and a paid tax lien from 2005 and I think those get me the boot over and over, even if they don't say that's the reason, with conservative banks who hate BK, anyway, and I would guess PenFed hates BK.  Citi just accepted me, though, and so did First Nat'l Bank of Omaha, so I don't know anymore who is more conservative than whom!)