Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PenFed Acting Like A Bank

tag
DI
Super Contributor

PenFed Acting Like A Bank

Checked p.o. box  today for the firstt time in 30 days and found many advance checks from different financial institutions with great deals.  I was shocked to find cash advance checks from PenFed.  I didn't know they send those things out.  I hope its not something that they do often. I do not like having checks mailed to me that are linked to my CC account. 

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Re: PenFed Acting Like A Bank

Surprise!  I received two of those...I was surprised and shocked and "wowed".

Message 2 of 9
score_building
Senior Contributor

might try letting them know you do not wish to receive them anymore and see if that works.  

Have received same from other CUs, it is not just a bank thang AFAIK.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 3 of 9
john398
Senior Contributor

Speaking of PenFed I got something in the mail saying to call USAA for insurance but when I call USAA they say I have to have been ion the military, just confusing I guess

Message 4 of 9
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

I dont remember if Penfed send the checks to me or not. But, I have received checks from NFCU.

Message 5 of 9
DI
Super Contributor

@john398 wrote:

Speaking of PenFed I got something in the mail saying to call USAA for insurance but when I call USAA they say I have to have been ion the military, just confusing I guess

I got the same thing.  PenFed sent that letter out to people knowing not all of its customers are associated with the military to qualify. 

Message 6 of 9
wajj
Contributor

PenFed doesn't know which of its members are eligible for USAA insurance.  I am eligible but am a non-military member of PenFed so it would be useful information to me (assumming I didn't already have house and car insured with USAA Smiley Happy ).  So, all PenFed members get the notice.

I also get BT checks from everyone -- PenFed, USAA, Fort Knox FCU, Navy, United Federal FCU, PSECU, etc.  It is just a new way to try and get some additional business.  They all come to me in non-descript envelopes so even my paranoia hasn't been tweaked by them.  I just launch them into the shredder when I open them.  Well, except for the 6 month 0%/$0 fee offer from Fort Knox.  I have the proceeds from those in my rewards checking account for 6 months.  Only $400 in interest but can't pass up free money Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 9
score_building
Senior Contributor

@wajj wrote:

PenFed doesn't know which of its members are eligible for USAA insurance.  I am eligible but am a non-military member of PenFed so it would be useful information to me (assumming I didn't already have house and car insured with USAA Smiley Happy ).  So, all PenFed members get the notice.

I also get BT checks from everyone -- PenFed, USAA, Fort Knox FCU, Navy, United Federal FCU, PSECU, etc.  It is just a new way to try and get some additional business.  They all come to me in non-descript envelopes so even my paranoia hasn't been tweaked by them.  I just launch them into the shredder when I open them.  Well, except for the 6 month 0%/$0 fee offer from Fort Knox.  I have the proceeds from those in my rewards checking account for 6 months.  Only $400 in interest but can't pass up free money Smiley Happy

Good info.

free money = good Smiley Happy

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 8 of 9
DI
Super Contributor

After contacting PenFed, I was  removed from the mailing list to receive convience checks.  I advised them I didn't like receiving those checks because it may subject my account to fraudulant  activity if it ever lands in the hands of a fraudster. 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.