Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PenFed/Alliant app

tag
kmr8
Valued Member

PenFed/Alliant app

Looking to apply for PenFed/Alliant memberships.
Want to see if I will have any issue with the following profile.
Applying for their CDs (and for establishing relationship for future mortgage/other loans) mainly, but if offered a no fee card willing to take it (moved majority of my spending to cash/debit so it doesn't matter).

EQ:
Hard inq: 5 (12 months: 1)
Acct: 17 ( 13 open cards; 3 closed; 1 car loan closed 2 weeks back)
Util: 0-1%
AAoA: 2 yrs (oldest: 3 yrs)
Also paid off a 35% util credit card 2 weeks back.

Some of these items are not yet on my credit reports (so not sure what the latest FICO is) but I'm planning to apply once they are all reported.
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Re: PenFed/Alliant app

Alliant is more conservative than Penfed for cards. You didn't mention your EQ score. This is what both pull. Just from what you've listed. Assuming you have 700's score wise.. You'll be more than fine with both. Memberships for both aren't difficult. Penfed was the path of least resistance for me. Alliant may have you send in extra documents to prove you are who you say you are.

Forgot to mention, Alliant is a SP for membership. Penfed a HP. State department FCU is another much smaller conservative credit union. They HP EX for membership. I only mention them because they'll send you SP offers for personal loans already pre-approved for REAL. Not like Alliant that states you are with a pre-approved code but still may shoot you down.

Message 2 of 15
kmr8
Valued Member

Thanks! My last EQ score is 750+ but that's before paying off my loanand CCs.
Message 3 of 15
Gmood1
Super Contributor

@kmr8 wrote:
Thanks! My last EQ score is 750+ but that's before paying off my loanand CCs.

Ah shoot.. You're good to go. I'd take State department FCU over Alliant for super low CC rated cards and those no hassle pre-approved loans. Alliant is a larger CU with fast ACH transfers and a higher end site than SDFCU. SDFCU just seems a little more hungry to earn your business IMO.

Penfed is awesome on Auto loan rates! 

Message 4 of 15
Gmood1
Super Contributor

First tech FCU should be on the radar as well. They pull EX and will up sale you a card during the membership process. They offer a high rate checking account along with CC limits up to $100,000. 

They list the cards minimum and maximum limits on the site. Very nice! I haven't seen another CU break it down like they do on the CC's..

Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Am an NFCU member currently.  Once had accounts at NASA FCU, Alliant, DCU and SDFCU.  7 bank accounts in all.  Was kinda silly but I was chasing that big limit on a credit card.  The problem was the SCT craze got me several cards and none of the CUs offered me a pre-approval.

NFCU is by far the best long distance "cash free" bank I have dealt with.

It's all a long credit journey.  Hope you get what you want.

Message 6 of 15
kmr8
Valued Member

Don't qualify for NFCU, unfortunately!
Message 7 of 15
Gmood1
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Am an NFCU member currently.  Once had accounts at NASA FCU, Alliant, DCU and SDFCU.  7 bank accounts in all.  Was kinda silly but I was chasing that big limit on a credit card.  The problem was the SCT craze got me several cards and none of the CUs offered me a pre-approval.

NFCU is by far the best long distance "cash free" bank I have dealt with.

It's all a long credit journey.  Hope you get what you want.

Not silly at all.. I won't even list how many I'm a member of if seven is silly. Lol

The memberships open up other doors not even related to cards. You never know what they'll offer.

Some of them just seem more proactive with their members than others.

Message 8 of 15
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@kmr8 wrote:

Anybody can get in with NFCU now...

Start here (mostly the first post):  http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Personal-Finance/Navy-Federal-CU-The-REAL-way-in-for-those-that-dont...

Then check here (mostly the latest posts):  http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Personal-Finance/NLUS-San-Diego-alive-and-well/td-p/4640823

Message 9 of 15
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

@kmr8 wrote:

Oh, yes you do!

UncleB beat me to the info for you.

Go for it!!

NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.