Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PenFed CC score needed

tag
eric19k
Established Contributor

PenFed CC score needed

Hello everyone. I was wondering what the scores should look to be approved?
TU Scores:
May 2014- 466
July 2014- 537
September 2014- 602
Goal Scores- 720 by March 2014
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
1GaDawg85
Valued Contributor

Re: PenFed CC score needed

High 600's and at least 2 years of credit 

FICO 5 ,4, 2 - 10/2023                            FICO 8 - 10/2023                                   FICO 9 - 10/2023                                   FICO 10 - 10/2023

Message 2 of 15
TheClub
Frequent Contributor

I think it's less about the score and more about the overall profile. I have way more than 2 years of history and scores were in the late 600's but still declined w/ no baddies. Better to have low utilization (Below 10% is ideal) and all positive accounts. You'll have a better shot that way.

"When you're fresh meat you kill... and give them something fresher" (Frank Underwood)
Message 3 of 15
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

I wouldn't apply for one of their cards until your reports are completely clean with low utilization and inq.  As far as the score, there's not an easy answer to that.  I've seen them approve some people with high-600 Fico.  I barely got approved ($1k limit) with a 785, but I have a lot of new accts.

Message 4 of 15
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@B335is wrote:

I wouldn't apply for one of their cards until your reports are completely clean with low utilization and inq.  As far as the score, there's not an easy answer to that.  I've seen them approve some people with high-600 Fico.  I barely got approved ($1k limit) with a 785, but I have a lot of new accts.

From what i have heard they are one of the most conservative lenders out there, i probably wouldn't app if i had any inq or new account within the last year. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 5 of 15
eric19k
Established Contributor

Ok will not bother app. Will wait for 2-3 years.
TU Scores:
May 2014- 466
July 2014- 537
September 2014- 602
Goal Scores- 720 by March 2014
Message 6 of 15
baller4life
Super Contributor

Yeah I'm waiting on Penfed as well. They will be my very first app when I come out of garden and Equifax is squeaky clean. If you even join without a clean report they dump you in the bad credit pool and it's hard to recover.
Message 7 of 15
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@baller4life wrote:
Yeah I'm waiting on Penfed as well. They will be my very first app when I come out of garden and Equifax is squeaky clean. If you even join without a clean report they dump you in the bad credit pool and it's hard to recover.

Right and for them clean doesn't just mean no baddies.   They are infamous for their "pyramiding debt" decline reason, which seems to just mean "some new accounts and/or inqs and we don't like that!"

Message 8 of 15
baller4life
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@baller4life wrote:

Right and for them clean doesn't just mean no baddies.   They are infamous for their "pyramiding debt" decline reason, which seems to just mean "some new accounts and/or inqs and we don't like that!"

Exactly! That's why I won't have any accts less than a year old when I join. Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had a score in the 730's, with high UTL (+40%) across 3 cards and have had multiple (5+) recent inquiries, and I got approved for the Promise card, albeit with a low CL of $2,500.

I also applied for their Signature card, but they wanted proof of any additional income I had in order for me to qualify for the minimum $5k CL. It sounded like they would've approved me if I made just a bit more money. I didn't want to include my spouse's income because I try not to involve her in my credit mess, so I declined and had them withdraw my app.

Just figured I'd share my experience. This was about a month ago or so.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.