cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PenFed CC usage with future autoloan in mind??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

PenFed CC usage with future autoloan in mind??

I was lucky enough to get a sizable CC approved with PenFed.  Luckily I plan on buying two cars from them in 12 months.  My fico's are average mid to high 600s.  Lets assume my scores didnt budge for whatever reason.  In 12 months using the card and paying it off or darn close to it every month, will this help me get better rates on auto loans than the same person off the street with identical info, but no PenFed CC history??  Meaning will my great usage/payments help me get a leg up on where I would be if I just cold apped off the street?

My plan with the CC is to basically live off of it.  Use it for absolutely everything, then pay it in full at the end of the month.  We are talking probably $3k monthly charges and equal payments every month.  I know this is all off the hip and very hypothetical, but Im just wondering if anyone has any experience with this type of situation.  Meaning getting better treatment because you are a trustworthy member vs a new unknown member.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Re: PenFed CC usage with future autoloan in mind??

I don't think it will make much of a difference. Penfed gave me a $45k auto refi at 2.24% with little (like under $100) spend on my cards.
Message 2 of 5
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

I'll also add that getting the title changed over as a new resident in the state of California was my challenge. Dealing with the DMV to get the correct amount owed in taxes and smog check took two full days off work on my part. I asked Penfed to extend the grace period before the penalty interest rate kicked in and they did it in about five minutes on the phone. They were really great about it.
Message 3 of 5
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

I agree with B335.  I think it'll all depend on your profile at the time you app.  They can be flexible in some instances and I'm sure a good payment history does hurt.  But I've got a sizable amount in my checking and savings account with PenFed and I also have 3 credit cards with them.  There are things I've asked for and have been told flat out NO!  I've asked for reconsideration and had a second look done...only to be told NO again.  So yes, good payments may help but it won't be the only deciding factor when you go for another product.  Just treat them well and by the time you need them for your auto loans...hopefully they'll be right there to assist. 

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

While your relationship matters, they won't approve you for a better rate because you used a card. The rate is solely score and the amount is your profile. If you've only had $10k autos and app for $30k they may put a stipulation of some sort on it if approved.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.